• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternator pulley removal?

deuceman51

How do you guys remove the pulley from the alternator? I see that it has 3 holes machined in the pulley. I tried using a pin spanner wrench in the holes with a breaker bar on the nut. The only result was a smashed hand when it slipped and some not so nice words being exchanged with my 13,000lb advisary. :oops: I have to remove the pulley to replace the front part of the alternator that bolts to the engine. The bolt hole broke so I have the replacements for it and can't get it off. Thanks in advance.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the alternator off of the engine. Use an impact to remove the nut. The pulley should pull off w/o a puller. If it's stubborn, put the nut back on till the end of the threads are at the end of the nut and give the nut/shaft a few love taps with a deadblow. If you have soldier B, you can have them hold some flatstock or a bearing puller so the wt of the alternator helps you.
I think the manual is in the TM section, TM9-2920-225-34.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Will says, first take the alternator off the engine. There is Woodruff key on the shaft so it has to come out straight and even, I'd use a puller, for sure.

Barrman

I used a regular gear puller on mine. Came right off.

By the way, the puller shaft is the same on the 25 amp generator as it is on the 60 amp alternator. That is how my alternator is wearing the generator pulley on my old Gasser right now. The nuts are way different sized, but the shaft is the same.

deuceman51

My problem is that I can't get the nut off, if i wrench on it the pulley just spins. What do you guys use to hold the pulley itself still while you use the impact wrench on the nut? Thanks.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the alt off of the engine and use an impact, as in air tool. The nut will spin off pretty easy. If you have a band type filter wrench, that will work to hold the pulley.

Barrman

Work the trigger of the air impact gun too. You just want 2 or 3 round burst instead of full auto.

If it still won't budge, try spraying some penetrating oil in there and also try going the other direction a burst or two. Once you get it moving, keep going on and off while lubing any exposed threads. Pretty soon, it will be all the way off.