• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance and Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjconley

USAA will only insure a three axle vehicle over 10,000 pounds through their general agency. I just got a quote of 3,300 for a m813 and a m62a2.

Jim

Most insurance co's are expensive ($750-$1200/yr in GA) or won't insure at all once they know it is 13,400 lb. vehicle. When I considered the options of lying about it being garage kept or not disclosing what the vehicle really was I decided it wasn't worth losing my house because I hit someone, they sued and my insurance wouldn't cover it. If you really want insurance rather than just getting it to satisfy the law, be straight up with you insurance agent. USAA underwrites with Progressive and they get a pound of flesh for the hassle. I recommend finding an independent broker (mine was a Travelers insurance broker) and asking them to have the policy underwritten by Progressive. Cost me $350/year and I know I'm covered.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

be cautious about not giving full disclosure, hate to get a low price because they didn't realize it was a Duece and then something happen and not get paid.
Good advice! Insurance companies look for any reason to deny the claim. Straight up is the way to go!

BTW, I'm a Hagarty customer, and have a shop big enough to park "The Other Woman".

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I insured my 1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with State Farm. They know it is a military vehicle and the agent had to request a quote from their headquarters. They issued me a $100K liability commercial policy, although it is not being used for commercial use. The cost is $285.23 every six months. The cost will vary tremendously between states and areas in the state depending if you are in a no-fault state, in a city, or a high risk area.

usmc320

State Farm quoted me $240 every 6 months for a commercial policy. No accident free discounts though for commercial insurance. They know it's a deuce as I've had one insured through them before. I'll probably check with Gulfway out of curiousity.

GoHot229

State Farm should get you hooked up easily enough. I'm in NC, pay $310 x 6 months and it went through on the spot, well I called first, but it was a breeze. Also I'm 57 so there will be some difference between your price and mine. I'm also a weighted vehicle @ 20,000lbs.

SasquatchSanta

I just hung up the phone from talking with Gulfway Insurers. My policy is coming up for renewal and I wanted to ask a few questions before sending a check.

With the renewal notice was a new policy. Not knowing if there had been changes since last year and not wanting to read and compare the two policies line by line I called Gulfway. The lady I spoke with said nothing had changed.

With Gulfway you have to have a daily driver vehicle insured on a private policy and be able to produce proof of insurance. You can not insure your MV for more liability coverage that you are carrying on your private (daily driver) vehicle.

I have my deuce (Rosie), an 18 Ft Trailer and an M105 insured through Gulfway. The three vehicles are insured for a total of 29K and I have $500,000.00 worth of liability. Annual cost is $488.00. There are no garage requirements with Gulfway.

To all of you guys that have visions of using a deuce as a daily driver all I can say is “good luck”. At one time I entertained doing so and spent several thousand dollars building what I consider to be the perfect a forty below zero daily driver deuce.

My experience is that to get insurance you have to have another vehicle insured. Also, even in the summer time, these trucks are too big for short runs to the grocery store. The engines don’t heat up on short runs and that’s hard on them.

Deuces are great trucks but they are what they are --- they are not daily drivers.

stumps

SasquatchSanta;459981 [FONT=Times New Roman said:
To all of you guys that have visions of using a deuce as a daily driver all I can say is “good luck”. At one time I entertained doing so and spent several thousand dollars building what I consider to be the perfect a forty below zero daily driver deuce. [/FONT]
For me it isn't a matter of wanting my deuce to be a daily driver, it is a matter of wanting to be able to use it as a truck from time-to-time. I'd like to be able to toss a few sheets of plywood, and some 2x4's in the back, or haul some trash to the dump.

With Gulfway, you can't put anything in the back that isn't part of display at a car show. You can't carry items for sale at the show. Not occasionally, not ever. If you do, you are not insured. I asked, and they were very clear on that subject.

If you have Gulfway insurance, your deuce is a show queen, and that is all. A sad fate for such a noble truck. The same goes for JC Taylor, Haggerty, and any other historic, or classic car policy. JC Taylor, and Haggerty insist on your giving them a picture of the lockable garage where your deuce will be stored.

-Chuck

zout

Libaility insurance coverage is mandatory in most states.
What coverage you have with liablity is another issue.

Still there are flat figures here - but what are you getting for your cost in coverages.
If you have hardly any liability coverage and you are involved in an accident and it is your fault and your Insurance is not diddly because you wanted to save some money - hold onto your belongings becuase the victims insurance will come after them to cover costs.

Nothing much to do with MV - but it has to do with insurance coverages.
Being a former Harley Davidson service manager - I saw every form of insurance when an accident happened. I saw many insurance coverages back peddle out as fast as they could and could give you the top 3 culprits.
I saw many of these companies fight tooth and nail with the dealership - customers while their bikes sat for months before anything was touched. Most tmes the customer never understood their coverage - or they did and wanted to save on it in one form or another.

It just seems worthless to toss a figure here without seeing what you are getting for coverage for those $$$$'s.

SNAFU 7665

I just told my State Farm agent I needed to add a 1970 Kaiser Jeep m35a2 truck to my policy and had no problems she was stumped for a bit :-D I then told her it was a cargo truck and would only be using it around my farm got standard liability added 100$ a year to my existing policy no prob, BUT when you go to get plates @ dmv you will have to get your vin# verified by local leo before you get tags which my local city cop was very pleased when I drove down to sherrifs office and asked him to verify vin, signed off on a little piece of paper and back to dmv for tags, really was easier than I thought.. Hope this helps

scootertrs

Just got an application from Gulfway and the GVW of my 818 worries me... Any idea how that would work out? I have my deuce fire truck already tagged and insured, but hearing all these noises about changing MV registration options throughout the different states, I believe that once tagged and registered you are grandfathered in. Thus my need to get it done... besides my occassional urge to motor down;).

ARYankee

Not too sure since every state is different. I would think the grandfathering thing may work depending on how any new law is worded. My advice would be follow the regulations and makes some friends in the community. Just this past weekend I was displaying my deuce at a community event and a politician came up asking where I stood politically. I said I ride the fence and vote for who best represents my views. He asked if I would vote for him. I told him that I might depending on what he could do for the MV folks in Arkansas. He asked what that would be. I said we just need a friend to watch our backs so no crackheaded laws are passed. I explained about some of the other laws being passed and also described what we do with our MVs. He seemed interested and gave me his cell # which I figure he was just politicing but it would greatly help having an ally.

scootertrs

I am glad you are able to deal with them so well. I am just not that smart. I hope it works for you and that he did not just give you the number for the nearest acorn office;-). But you are right. Remember that every time we putt down the street on one of our old mv's ... some unemployed car salesman/manufacturer/mechanic etc. will ne thinking... if that sob had bought a new truck... I would have a piece of his A**... and he has better connections than you... and gives more money than you to political campaigns... etc.

Forget the convertible beemer driver that gets covered in soot by our leaking exhaust pipe at a traffic light... specially when running veggie recently acquired from a fish fry house...
He just wants you off the road!!! or the mother that thinks it is unsafe to drive her minivan next to it...rofl

MasterChief

Hi , new 2 "forums" . sorry if I break protocall:

about INSURANCE - I offer good info n advice. Just got a bobbed M35A2 ...With a snowplow.
My insurance carrier of home n auto tried but couldnt touch it ( farmfamily).
Antique/custom insurers were out as I have no LOCKED GARAGE and I want 2 work this truck . A "showqueen " is useless to me.
I can not STRESS ENOUGH to everyone out there....DO NOT B.S. your insurance company.
you will get your plates and pay your premiums BUT G*D forbid - when you need insurance they will say "you loose - GAME OVER!!! The adjuster will count the # or axels, look for your locked garage etc. etc. and if you are caught in a lie YOU loose !!!!!
SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

DO NOT B.S. INSURANCE

I took info from this chain. I called a local State Farm agent. Told them they needed to work outside the box!
Develpoed a repor with them. Was TOTALLY HONEST!

Insured my 1968 Bobbed jeep M35A2 WITH SnowPlow.
Commercial Policy NO Garage, No mileage limit, No useage limit.
Comprehensive coverage with $500 deductable. $500k coverage , Towing Ha Ha!

cost $374 per year!!!

Guys, Be honest..... Shop around.. It is a little scary and a big hassle but you can do it too!!

Good luck and I did a lot of homework so If I can help anyone - let me know!

MasterChief

MasterChief

I hope you were completely honest with them.
in doing so , I hope you got the appropriate insurance.
I advise you: If there is "one little LIE" You will be sorry to discover you have ZERO coverage.

Glad you found something that work for you.

If you want info about how I did it , ask.
I will try to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.