• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Load Bank

grywitt

Hello. I bought a load bank from the auction and it didn't have any part numbers and they conveniently didn't take any pics of the big 400hz stickers on it. I've since gotten my hands on the nsn. Here it isNSN 6150-01-486-6937
I still can't find any info about the thing except that it's a load bank. I was hoping some of you that know how to dig deeper into the numbers might give me some pointers or help me find a manual schematic ect? I feel like I should be able to use the 400hz load bank on 60 hz. The fans look like dc fans. I haven't opened it yet to be sure. It's also a 75kw load bank and I might use it up to 15kw so well below it's max. I'm not sure but it seems like the relays and controls shouldn't care they mostly work on voltages right? I am an electrician with some electronics training but the differences in frequency beyond motors and distance between peaks are a little beyond my knowledge. Here are some picks of the machine and some pages off the internet showing what I was able to find. I appreciate any input. 4

Attachments

grywitt

I'm hoping I can either use it at a limited capacity or possibly modify it a little to use 60hz. Maybe I just sell it if not. I'm wondering if the heat coils will care about the 60hz. I can bypass all the electronics with toggle switches and run an external fan even if the heat coils will be fine. I'm not clear on the math but usually a load bank that goes this high at 60hz is bigger.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm hoping I can either use it at a limited capacity or possibly modify it a little to use 60hz. Maybe I just sell it if not. I'm wondering if the heat coils will care about the 60hz. I can bypass all the electronics with toggle switches and run an external fan even if the heat coils will be fine. I'm not clear on the math but usually a load bank that goes this high at 60hz is bigger.
One of our guys used to work on the Patriot system. @Guyfang might be able to pull some manuals for you with the NSN 6150-01-486-6937 in your second screen grab.

Logic says you should be able to make a load device with it, but maybe after Guy looks up the NSN maybe you can do better...

Guyfang

Staff member
Already done. So far, no TM's to be found. It was a non repairable item. Use it till it breaks, turn it in. Cost was $17,000. Turn in credit to the unit was $10,000. It was bought just for Patriot, and was not a big contract, not many bought. For such items, it was not worth the time and MONEY to put a TM together, nor to stock repair parts for it. I have shot a mail to someone I still know in Patriot, and asked if their was a CIV hand book or documentation for it. Have to see if he will answer. Having not opened one up to look inside, I cant say if you can use it for 60 hertz testing. You could also try and contact the 400 Hertz Repair folks and ask for information.

These people make it, and seem to be very proud of the equipment.

Last edited:

grywitt

Already done. So far, no TM's to be found. It was a non repairable item. Use it till it breaks, turn it in. Cost was $17,000. Turn in credit to the unit was $10,000. It was bought just for Patriot, and was not a big contract, not many bought. For such items, it was not worth the time and MONEY to put a TM together, nor to stock repair parts for it. I have shot a mail to someone I still know in Patriot, and asked if their was a CIV hand book or documentation for it. Have to see if he will answer. Having not opened one up to look inside, I cant say if you can use it for 60 hertz testing. You could also try and contact the 400 Hertz Repair folks and ask for information.

These people make it, and seem to be very proud of the equipment.
Copy that. Thank you for looking into it for me. Once I get some time I'll open it up and see if the fans are DC. They look like computer fans. After that I imagine I'll put some voltage on it and see what happens. I think it's kind of funny how much awesome documentation they have on things but once they don't care you can't even find a make and model. lol.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say this never having tried one but it should not make a difference whether you input 60Hz or 400Hz into a pure resistive load bank. If all you need is the load then wire it up without anything other than the resistive bank.

Guyfang

Staff member
You need the cooling fans. Yes, I would assume they are DC. But will the step down full wave rectifier be able to use 120 volts? Do not forget, Patriot uses 416 VAC/400 hertz. I am sure there is a way to work that out.

grywitt

You need the cooling fans. Yes, I would assume they are DC. But will the step down full wave rectifier be able to use 120 volts? Do not forget, Patriot uses 416 VAC/400 hertz. I am sure there is a way to work that out.
I guess the first time I try it I can use my 15kw gen and put it on 415 just to see how it likes the 60hz with everything else the same.

grywitt

I say this never having tried one but it should not make a difference whether you input 60Hz or 400Hz into a pure resistive load bank. If all you need is the load then wire it up without anything other than the resistive bank.
That is kind of my plan if I can't use it with its circuit board then use the coils with toggle bolts and an external fan. It is a nice load bank though so I would like to find a way not to butcher it. Lol

grywitt

That is kind of my plan if I can't use it with its circuit board then use the coils with toggle bolts and an external fan. It is a nice load bank though so I would like to find a way not to butcher it. Lol
Toggle switches. Not bolts

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must be darn big switches.

Depends on how long you want to run the load on it whether you need fans or not. I run my HF battery tester until it glows. YMMV

grywitt

I reached out to 400hz repair and they at least answered me. I'm not getting any more than this though

Well Sir,

You purchased something that was specifically made for the Patriot Missile System. 400 HZ is the only Frequency that it works at and the input power that drives the LB is 115 phase to neutral and 208 phase to phase. Yes the fans are high output DCV and NO it cannot be changed to use on 50 or 60 HZ power input.

I do not give out manuals or any other information on this item.

Thank you for giving me enough info to try.

grywitt

Must be darn big switches.

Depends on how long you want to run the load on it whether you need fans or not. I run my HF battery tester until it glows. YMMV
Yeah I guess a 10kw switch would be pretty big hu? Maybe I'll use breakers or something for the stages. Maybe I'll just try to sell it and wait until I can get the right one. I have kind of a bad habit of jumping before I look. The info was kind of hidden in the listing and I would have had to compare the nsn with online info to find out it was 400hz but I should have. Live and learn.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I reached out to 400hz repair and they at least answered me. I'm not getting any more than this though

Well Sir,

You purchased something that was specifically made for the Patriot Missile System. 400 HZ is the only Frequency that it works at and the input power that drives the LB is 115 phase to neutral and 208 phase to phase. Yes the fans are high output DCV and NO it cannot be changed to use on 50 or 60 HZ power input.

I do not give out manuals or any other information on this item.

Thank you for giving me enough info to try.
Its at least a reasonable reply. AND he did reply...
Pretty darn good in my opinion!

2Pbfeet

I would pull it open and look to see what might be 400Hz specific, but relays, meters, EMI suppression, and wire sizing come to mind. The latter being that 400Hz is getting toward more surface rather than cross sectional conductance, but not by much.

The fans in other surplus load banks that I have seen tend to be AC into a full wave rectifier and out into enough fans to make the voltage.

From the manufacturer, it sounds as if it is wired for three phase WYE at 208, and the fact he called out the line to neutral value makes wonder if the controls run on one of the phases. But @Guyfang's recollection of the Patriot voltage makes me wonder. I wonder if there is more information once you have opened the case up.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

grywitt

So here are a bunch of pics inside the bank. The only thing I see that might care about the hz is the transformer and what I believe are little rectifiers. Even the CT is 50 to 400hz. Any one see what I'm missing? 2PBFeet seems to be very electrically save. Do you see anything? Would the relays care? Well while I was writing this I finally looked at the fan sticker. They are 200v 400hz. Couldn't I change the fans to 60hz?

Attachments