• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989 vs M989a1

2deuce

These trailers are selling by the dozens in CA for under $500. I'm not sure if they are M989, or the M989a1. Is there a difference in dimensions, and tire size? Especially interested in the wheelbase of them since it would need to be hauled. Thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...........I'm not sure if they are M989, or the M989a1
The latter...... M989A1 (TRAILER, AMMUNITION, HEAVY EXPANDED MOBILITY, 11 TON,, NSN 2330-01-275-7474
1716129095917.png

..... Is there a difference in dimensions, and tire size?
Yes. M989 and M989A1 are two different beasts.
Equipment data/dimensions for each can be found in TM 9-2330-368-14&P and TM 9-2330-383-14&P, respectively.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These trailers are selling by the dozens in CA for under $500. I'm not sure if they are M989, or the M989a1. Is there a difference in dimensions, and tire size? Especially interested in the wheelbase of them since it would need to be hauled. Thanks
I have one. It is a M989A1 that hauls a S141 around.
Not much honestly... It sits more than it gets dragged around. They are heavy duty!
Only drawback is trying to back it. They are just difficult and you have got to be on your "A Game" to make it work.

2deuce

The last sale is over. There have been at least 4 sales on GSA auctions that I saw so far, about 20 trailers each sale. They are the HEMTT trailers, but they call them at the army depot M989. I thought that before the a1 was added they might have been just M989, but it sounds like the HEMAT trailers were all M989a1's. The other reason I thought there may be different generations of the ammo trailer was because you can find different dimensions online that list the wheelbase as 18', and 19'.
The reserve was $100, and most sold between $200 & $400. If you want one real bad you can get one for $7000 at some of the surplus dealers marked down. The auctions only last 3 days so you need to look often.
I bought one, now I'm questioning how it will sit on my trailer.

2deuce

Was that the GSA Auction with no towing allowed and must be transported off site. Shipping has to be high $ ?
Yes, they won't let them be towed off. I have a trailer that will haul 24k. It's the length, specifically wheelbase that is my concern. I didn't see that in the TM either.

If you have one of these trailers....would you measure yours? Many thanks!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they won't let them be towed off. I have a trailer that will haul 24k. It's the length, specifically wheelbase that is my concern. I didn't see that in the TM either.

If you have one of these trailers....would you measure yours? Many thanks!
No Sir, I don't have one but I have been tempted over the years as a few have sold around me for less than scrap but according to my boss, my motor pool is at capacity :)

All the best with that beast and let us know what you do with it.

Strange as I don't recall seeing the do not tow off requirement in other gl, gp, or gsa auctions.

2deuce

No Sir, I don't have one but I have been tempted over the years as a few have sold around me for less than scrap but according to my boss, my motor pool is at capacity :)

All the best with that beast and let us know what you do with it.

Strange as I don't recall seeing the do not tow off requirement in other gl, gp, or gsa auctions.
I thought the requirement was strange at 1st too, but we're dealing with the military directly on this. Starting bid was $50 on them and the reserve price was $100. That doesn't make much sense to me either, especially considering what the military pays for their stuff. I think the sales were approved through different channels and they all had some requirement added.
If you sell enough of these things, you know somebody will show up with a CUCV M1009 wanting to tow it home.:rolleyes::sneaky:

2deuce

M989A1 Wheelbase 234 inches according to the manufacturer's datasheet

I saw that figure too. and one company that made them says 18'. It made me think there were different versions. I thought they had the same tires as the HEMTT too, since that was what is intended to tow it, but I've not seen any of these trailers up close. Pictures showing the HEMTT towing one show smaller tires on the trailer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fyi. there is an extension they made for the lunette so it would not rub the corners at extreme angels on some of the prime movers. Search on here for more info as not my threads but I recall seeing the info.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw that figure too. and one company that made them says 18'. It made me think there were different versions. I thought they had the same tires as the HEMTT too, since that was what is intended to tow it, but I've not seen any of these trailers up close. Pictures showing the HEMTT towing one show smaller tires on the trailer.
They assuredly are not the same wheels and tires as a HEMTT.

It cannot be overstated just how difficult these things are to back up. They're more difficult to back than doubles. You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. If you get into something tight and have to back, you're going to unhook and drag it backwards with a chain... These things are truly cursed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I thought the requirement was strange at 1st too, but we're dealing with the military directly on this. Starting bid was $50 on them and the reserve price was $100. That doesn't make much sense to me either, especially considering what the military pays for their stuff. I think the sales were approved through different channels and they all had some requirement added.
If you sell enough of these things, you know somebody will show up with a CUCV M1009 wanting to tow it home.:rolleyes::sneaky:
Yep. I bought mine from an individual. He towed it from Ohio to North Carolina. Had himself an air compressor in the back of his Dodge Ram so he had brakes. Looking back at that now, I am not so sure how safe it was. Especially on the Interstate Highways from there to here...

Reactions: 98G

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one. It is a M989A1 that hauls a S141 around.
Not much honestly... It sits more than it gets dragged around. They are heavy duty!
Only drawback is trying to back it. They are just difficult and you have got to be on your "A Game" to make it work.
You can let the lock pin drop in place and stiff arm back it up alot easier than fighting the farm trailer way ! If its not loaded very heavy it will scoot pretty easy with the steer tires locked straight worked better for me ! I dont miss that trailer at all ! lol

2deuce

Yep. I bought mine from an individual. He towed it from Ohio to North Carolina. Had himself an air compressor in the back of his Dodge Ram so he had brakes. Looking back at that now, I am not so sure how safe it was. Especially on the Interstate Highways from there to here...
We've all done some crazy things in the past that we wouldn't do again, but yep that wouldn't be safe.
I bought a Deuce once that had a froze up air pack that I didn't realize until I tried to stop. Did make it home the 50 miles. Flat towed a M1009 with another M1009, made it home with that one too, but would never do that again.