• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-painting New Wheels That Already Have a Factory Finish

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a set of new steel wheels for my M38, and they all already have a new factory glossy gray paint finish. How does everyone get the factory paint to a point where they can apply their own finish? I am looking for an efficient and effective method to scuff the paint to a point where I can apply rapco primer, then semi-gloss OD 23070. I’m thinking wire wheel then a good degreasing & cleaning. Just looking to see if anyone has a better method that doesn't involve blasting to bare metal.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to blast to metal. Just rough the surface. If you have a compressor, you can get a cheap media blaster that holds maybe a quart of media (looks like a paint sprayer). I do that with play sand (with protections) for cheap. Any other method by hand will miss the crevasses.