• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what the M880/890 "WHEELS" parts manual tells us

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My manual is dated Apr78 .. On the first descriptive page it lists the production of M880/890's from 1975 to 1977, all on a 1975-dated gov't contract .. The parts listings indicate 1975, 76, 77 where parts are different between the years , such as grilles, lower valances, radiator supports, rear drums, etc..

There was NO listing for any parts related to the heavy-duty 4-speed manual tranny that is found in other dodge/plymouth/desoto trucks of this size during those years.. The "Wheels" manual only lists parts for the 727 automatic..

Hence, this tells me the OD-painted 1975-76 "M880's" I saw in the motor pool in '77 having same tires, rims, troop seats, and cargo covers as the new 1977 M880's rolling in, were apparently nothing but "de-badged" W200's as they had no "200" emblems on the fenders and had the same basic black interior with no radio as the M880's.. These particular trucks had 4-speed trannies and one was set up with meyer plow for clearing the compound .. Perhaps something seen in motor pools all over the place and fooling people, as it did me, that "some of the first M880's had 4-speeds in them"

My '77 M880 does, but only because I put it in there

nattieleather

While the Army was purchasing M880 serries vehicles the US Gov was also purchasing commercial Dodge W200s for use on US Bases around the world. And yes they were very similar to the M880s but some had standard transmissions. It was all part of Uncle Sam helping to bolster Chrysler during the hard times of the auto industry in the 1970s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks