• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which US MVs have locking diffs?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locking differentials are such an advantage off-road, why so few US military vehicles feature them is a mystery (to me anyway).
Is it an operator problem?
How about a list of vehicles with limited slip or locking diffs, please.....

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a few that I know of:
USMC M809 and M939 series: Detroit Lockers rears
CUCV Trucks: Detroit No-spin rear
CUCV Blazers: Gov-lock rear

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the pipeline trucks are reported as having Detroits in the back. I've yet to personally confirm this as mine did not. No parts manuals show them.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Stupid question....my TM 9-2320-272-20P manual for the M923 5-ton truck series does not cover the M939, isn't it part of that series?
M939 is the series, just like M809 or M39. The cover of the 24P manual I have says:
TECHNICAL MANUAL
UNIT, DIRECT SUPPORT, AND GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
REPAIR PARTS AND SPECIAL TOOLS LIST
FOR
TRUCK, 5-TON, 6X6, M939, M939A1, M939A2
SERIES TRUCKS (DIESEL)

Then, it goes into the individual models. I guess technically, the M939 is the base cab/chassis, as is the case with M39 and M809's.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMM...okay, thanks, my parts TM does not mention M939 on the cover, it starts with M923 (Sep 1988) and M939 is not mentioned anywhere in that TM.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just read a MV article about some WW2 marine cargo's having them. David Doyle should know more, since he wrote it!

Ha, got off my lazy butt and looked it up. International M-5H-6 trucks had them for the Marines and Navy.

emr

Only common in the Marines...The Army 800's and 900's do not have em...The Marines use em because of shore landings, they figured this out quickly, long ago.And the Army pretty much gave up shore landings after WW2 . the Army also does not because of a cost factor & the wear and tear is MUCH greater on the drive train, tires etc., but simply put the massive amount of cargo trucks the Army has it is not cost effective, most of there trucks because there are so many never make it into a place were they would need them either,This has been my opinion for a long time,and i would bet true... and thru many non official channels I have spoken with feel the same way.Now the Hemmits are made to keep up with an Abrams , they have em for sure, but they are not a standard cargo truck either in the Armys eyes i would bet, they are mission specific and they do it very very well, ...Randy

jasonjc

emr said:
Only common in the Marines...The Army 800's and 900's do not have em...The Marines use em because of shore landings, they figured this out quickly, long ago.And the Army pretty much gave up shore landings after WW2 . the Army also does not because of a cost factor & the wear and tear is MUCH greater on the drive train, tires etc., but simply put the massive amount of cargo trucks the Army has it is not cost effective, most of there trucks because there are so many never make it into a place were they would need them either,This has been my opinion for a long time,and i would bet true... and thru many non official channels I have spoken with feel the same way.Now the Hemmits are made to keep up with an Abrams , they have em for sure, but they are not a standard cargo truck either in the Armys eyes i would bet, they are mission specific and they do it very very well, ...Randy
Yet the Army still has it's own landing carft. At least as late as the mid 90's. I know Igot to ride/sail on one. If you thought backing a 105 was hard. Try backing a M270 onto a moving boat :wink:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While neither used true "lockers", the Mighty Mites and Mules were more or less in the "locked" category. I think Mighty Mites used a limited slip type (once again, the Marines knew it worked for them), while the Mule axles just didn't have a differential unit, so those axles were solidly locked together.

madsam

Gould you buy used lockers from someone that would fit in the 800s. (My 816) Does anyone know anyone who might have a set?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brand new Detroits are available for deuces and 5 tons and they are pretty reasonable as far as price.

Alredneck

Banned
Lets see here: hemmts, hetts, fmtv, 915s, PLS, LHS, (its a family thing i reckon ) humvee is limited slip ( locker can be added ), 10ton tractors, do brake locks count for locking diffs cause you can sorta manipulate them to work to your advantge. If I can think of any others I will post back. Captain

Alredneck

Banned
I was just rereading I used to drive a 900 series wrecker and coulda swore it had locking diffs in it ( flip the switch and poof locked up), it also had CTIS on it to so im sure they were air diffs in it, which is what most of the other vehicles above use. But that was along time ago ( over 10 yrs so maybe not ).

jasonjc

M915's is the line haul tractor. The wrecker M936 is in the 939's series. You mite be thinking of the air for the front axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks