• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which US MVs have locking diffs?

M1075

madsam said:
Gould you buy used lockers from someone that would fit in the 800s. (My 816) Does anyone know anyone who might have a set?
I have a pair of 5 ton lockers sitting on the shelf. I had planned to use them, but haven't got around to it, yet. If anyone gets serious and wants them, please send me a pm. Here is a comparison picture of the detroit locker for the 2.5 ton and the 5 ton.

Attachments

The M915 line haul tractor has a "locker" for the tandems to keep them turning together, but not a true locking diff. It's not intended as an off road truck.

The M939 series switch on the dash was to engage the front axle, nothing more. CTIS has no bearing on locking diffs, it's only for the tires.

The locking diffs for the Marine versions of the M809 and M939 series won't show in your TM9-2320 series books because those books are particular to the Army/Air Force. Marines/Navy have a different TM system in most cases.

Alredneck

Banned
Ok that clarifies the 915 im just going by what we use to work on back in the day, And that old wrecker i swore had a switch on it for diff locks to. which was sepeerate from CTIS sure I never said it was one in the same. Kinda like on the Hemmt wrecker you have a diff lock switch, 8x8 switch, pto drive, all the bells n whistles. What I was getting at was maybe only the CTIS equiped 900 series might have been equiped with lockers im not sure. And true the diff locks on the 915s were primarily for when pulling extreme amounts of weight. It was never said on the thread if the lockers had to be in the pumpkins aua

1stDeuce

Oshkosh lockers...

From my memory of working at Oshkosh Truck -- now nearly 10 years ago -- HEMTTs have limited slip rear axles only. PLS trucks (5 axle) have lockers that engage with air switches, but I think only the rear three lock. We did have some cool independent suspension prototype PLS trucks where you could lock all five axles... Those trucks were amazing offroad, and could easily keep up with a tank. I don't remember about LVS... I don't recall unhooking air lines for the axle lockers, so I'm betting they had the same LSD as the HEMTTS, though perhaps in all four axles. This combined with the ability to pivot in the middle allowed it to "wallow" through just about anything. MTVR's can lock all three. Can't wait untill those come up on GovLiq!! Didn't spend much time with HETs, but I'm pretty sure you could lock the rear triple up.

I think having power steering is just about a necessity with lockers, which may be why the're more common on newer MV's and not so common on older ones.

Man I miss Oshkosh Truck!!
C

M1075

RE: Oshkosh lockers...

The Oshkosh PLS has both inter-axle and intra-axle lockers. All ten wheels can be locked up. Just turn the switch on the dash to emergency (while in low range)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks