• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV emissions restrictions in California

somepriests

First of all, glad to see so many of you out there. It is good to know one has compadres. Being new to the site, I plan to be here a lot.

In any case, I moved to CA two years ago on Military orders, and I am trying to purchase my first CUCV M1008 or M1009 in a month or so. Looking to spend no more than $5000 if possible. Please forgive me, since I assume this topic has been discussed ad nauseum in the past, but I need to sort out the new CA emissions laws in regards to the 1986 M1008, etc.

1. Any restrictions at all?
2. Are they still smog exempt?
3. Do they classify as "Military Antique?"

I will travel if there is a reliable truck out there, so I will peruse the "For Sale" site of this forum and see what is out there.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site . The best thing to do is start reading as many threads as you can in the CUCV section , downoad and study the TM's ( free to download here the link is on the top toolbar ). Most everthing about these have been covered here ,a lot of information in this thread FAQ Thread for CUCV's . It is a great bunch of guys here who can help you solve any problem that arises , but they generally expect you to make a reasonable effort to search and to use the TM's. And it is generally perfered to build on a existing thread over starting new threads on the same topic , this helps keep search easier . And when starting a new thread title it with a title that describes the problem and will be searchable later . Once you start searching a bit you will understand about thread titles. These things listed are some suggestions that will help make your time on the site more enjoyable for all.
I'm sure some of the california people will provide you with the information your looking for .

somepriests

Welcome to the site . The best thing to do is start reading as many threads as you can in the CUCV section , downoad and study the TM's ( free to download here the link is on the top toolbar ). Most everthing about these have been covered here ,a lot of information in this thread FAQ Thread for CUCV's . It is a great bunch of guys here who can help you solve any problem that arises , but they generally expect you to make a reasonable effort to search and to use the TM's. And it is generally perfered to build on a existing thread over starting new threads on the same topic , this helps keep search easier . And when starting a new thread title it with a title that describes the problem and will be searchable later . Once you start searching a bit you will understand about thread titles. These things listed are some suggestions that will help make your time on the site more enjoyable for all.
I'm sure some of the california people will provide you with the information your looking for .

Thank you for the help.

cpf240

From the stuff I've read, both what GL sent me about this and things posted here, those regs only apply to commercial vehicles or vehicles that weigh more than a CUCV. Until I hear differently, I'm not worrying about it.

Yes, you can probably register as historic, but that may come with usage restrictions, such as mileage limits or parade use only, etc.

Welcome to the club!

flighht2k5

Banned
I love how this is the blanket answer for everything. How does reading the TM answer his question about smogging the truck in CA?

Blendmaster2002

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love how this is the blanket answer for everything. How does reading the TM answer his question about smogging the truck in CA?
Your post helped him a bunch. Thanks!

Somepriests, just wanted to say welcome aboard since the smog questions were already answered by the hive.

flighht2k5

Banned
Your post helped him a bunch. Thanks!

Somepriests, just wanted to say welcome aboard since the smog questions were already answered by the hive.
So did read the TMs, that really sure seemed to address his question or refer him to the answer on this site.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So did read the TMs, that really sure seemed to address his question or refer him to the answer on this site.
My post was a welcome to the site and a generalization of how to make the site work better for him without getting flamed .If you bothered to read the entire post you will see the last says I"m sure some califonia people will post with help . It also bumped it up . But since " That place " can't be found on a map ( your state location is a site requirement ) No one knows if your from califonia or not , what we do know is your posts have noting to do with his question. After some searching I did find a old thread that appears to answer his question . How have you helped him ?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are in Palmdale; run just down the road to Antelope Valley Truck & Equipment (about 14 miles away in Lancaster) and talk to Norm. They'll have any military parts you may need and can probably answer all your CA related questions.

jw4x4

Reading the TM will help familiarize him with the operation and upkeep of said vehicle. Reading (searching) threads will help with problems and issues associated with ownership. There is NO such thing as too much info.

somepriests

Thanks for the great information guys? Marcus, to answer your question, I came out of Active Duty from Edwards, and now I am with the 452 ALCF (TALCE) at March ARB.

Last edited:

j.cherry377

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf

This applies to gensets as well.

the following section is on page 2, paragraph 2

"Starting January 1, 2020, all remaining trucks
and buses would need to be replaced so that they would
all have 2010 model year engines or equivalent emissions
by 2023."

It is vague as to if they are referring to ALL other remaining trucks or just those in the specific classes. As of the last notes, they are considering changes to make these applicable to all 'compression -ignition' type engines.

also this section on dieselnet
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ca_diesel.php

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks