• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV emissions restrictions in California

Sergeant1983

In Memphis TN the laws are similar. Due to the age and weight of my 1986 M1009, the emissions test was not required. Only the normall safety inspection. I had to install an interior rear view mirror. That was about it.

Also did not register it as historic, because of the many restrictions.

Good luck finding a vehicle. A lot of CUCVs out there looking for a good homes. Takes awhile to find one not too far away.

Blendmaster2002

No j.cherry377, that information you posted is not for the CUCV or Diesel Pickup trucks in California Under 14,000gvw, that information you are listing is for medium duty and heavy duty diesel engines in equipment over 14,000gvw, look at the second paragraph in ARB regulation you linked in your first post. Most CUCV’s will all be under 10,000gvw, as are most GM 3500, Ford F-350 and dodge one ton trucks with pickup beds, few go much higher than 11,500 to I think 12,000, for example my 1989 4x4 v-3500 dually crew cab is 10,000gvw it is gas big block but doesn’t have anything to do with its GVW, but since its gas and newer than 1975 I have to smog it. So Basically no smog on any Diesel pickup(CUCV) in California 1997 and older under 14,000GVW. If you have a 1998 diesel pickup truck under 14,000GVW in California you just have to get it smoged, and No engine replacement is required. Engine replacement is the CARB Diesel law for over 14,000gvw older than 2010 information. Also under 14,000 Registration type plays no roll in this on pickups smog, So register it normally (which is commercial plates for all pickup trucks in cali.), and use it as a normal truck with No Smog in California. Again here is the link to the State Smog laws for the Gas and Diesel cars and Pickup Trucks(CUCV): http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm . Again here is my thread which also has the CARB Diesel Law information that aplies to Any Year older than 2010 Over 14,000gvw- California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...out-info-for-M35-Deuce-5-Ton&referrerid=19939 .

I know the California Smog, Diesel and registration regulations are confusing Because California has to many laws and regulations, so I just tried to clear it up as best I could, hope this helps.

Last edited:

somepriests

I agree that the regulation is somewhat vague. I do believe that when the full weight of this disaster hits home and prices skyrocket from truck drivers passing the cost along to the customer, people will be a might upset. The state will see "its revenues" are not what was expected in a couple of years, and all diesel owners, regardless of truck size, will be forced to comply, or they will just raise taxes again. Just my opinion. I hope my opinion is wrong.

quickfarms

Since you are in Palmdale; run just down the road to Antelope Valley Truck & Equipment (about 14 miles away in Lancaster) and talk to Norm. They'll have any military parts you may need and can probably answer all your CA related questions.
I heard that they closed there doors the first of the year

tbearatkin

Safety inspection are not mandated in TN, understand Memphis has that crazy emission testing but when did they required a safety inspection? Glad I live in a county other than Shelby. My M1009 did not come with a interior mirror and I do not recall any I drove in the military had them either.

Sergeant1983

I had to take my M1009 through inspection for Memphis. No emissions testing because of the vehicle age. They did check all the lights, horn, e-brake and they insisted on a interior rear view mirror. So I put one on. Actually, due to my physical limitations, the mirror makes it easier for me; but in the Army, we never had interior rear view mirror. I left the set screw loose, so I could pop it off for authenticity.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to take my M1009 to the DMV for an inspection. It had never been registered anywhere before. The inspector gave it a once over, initialed some paperwork and I was done. No smog test......yet. I've seen some folks swap out the diesel engine for a big block gas motor and not report it. I'm sure there would be a fine involved when caught.

SCAQMD
AQMD
CARB
EPA
ETC. ETC. aua

quickfarms

Had to take my M1009 to the DMV for an inspection. It had never been registered anywhere before. The inspector gave it a once over, initialed some paperwork and I was done. No smog test......yet. I've seen some folks swap out the diesel engine for a big block gas motor and not report it. I'm sure there would be a fine involved when caught.

SCAQMD
AQMD
CARB
EPA
ETC. ETC. aua
More than likely all they did was to verify the VIN and mileage. A vin verification is a normal part of registering a former military vehicle in California.

br44

I am currently living in San Diego and I own an M1009. It is registered like a normal car and there is no smog. The law states any 1997 or before diesels do not require smog.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safety inspection are not mandated in TN, understand Memphis has that crazy emission testing but when did they required a safety inspection? Glad I live in a county other than Shelby. My M1009 did not come with a interior mirror and I do not recall any I drove in the military had them either.
I know this is a little old, but we had 1009s all over the place in Florennes BE and all had rear view mirrirs on the windshield. I remember this distinctly because we had a one lane area in out interim WSA which required you to back out after your checks, always used that mirror. Maybe the Army took them out? Or spec'd without, but my current 1009 came straight from GL and was equipped with this mirror.