• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Frame Up Restore Labor of Love

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it has been almost two years now and I have been working off and on restoring one of my M35A2’s. I am almost done with it, just need to put the winch cable on it, a little more stenciling, etc.
Still need to work on the troop seats, but that will be a little bit later in 2014.
I have always wanted to restore a Vehicle, so I picked a 1969 M35A2 from the 116[SUP]th[/SUP] Idaho National Guard. I decided to restore it back to the color it was in 1969, in honor of the Vietnam vets. Thank you!

I did not do a full restoration. I did some upgrades. I added a remote brake fluid reservoir, spin on filters, and a coolant filter, put bed liner in the bed and on the cab floorboard.

I started taking the truck apart and I quickly realized I was running out of space. I had parts all over the place. As I got things done I would sandblast and paint the parts I was going to need for the next install. I would hang them in my barn and all over to let them dry and the paint get hard. Castle Bravo from S/S came over one day and walked in to my barn and said “it looks like a Deuce exploded in here”.

I replaced the front and rear wiring harness. The harness I got was for a truck that used the start relay and my truck did not have one, so I had to add a relay, that was not hard, just had to make a mount for it and make some wire jumpers. I also replaced/rebuilt the wheel cylinders, hoses, brake shoes, front axle boots. I rebuilt a winch from my parts truck and added it to the truck as part for the restore. I adjusted the valves on the motor, flushed the engine and radiator. I learned a lot of valuable information about the M35A2 during this restore.

As you can see I did not pull the motor, transmission, transfer case and axles. If I do a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] truck I think I will pull them, it will make it much easier to sandblast and paint the frame.

The work was a labor of love, but it was a lot of work. I do not like painting and there were a lot parts to paint! I painted all the bolts before I put them on, that was painful. Next time I will paint the parts, and then after the truck is together with the bolts I will paint the truck again with all the bolts getting painted then. That is how the factory did it, I think.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the frame up restore…

The before and start.

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our club is having our annual MV show this weekend and I will be taking the M35A2.
Got the old girl all cleaned up and ready for her first MV show.
This will be the first long road test for her, I have 7 miles of dirt road and about 50 miles of highway to get into Phoenix and to the show.

Attachments

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Blown away... wow doesn't cover it.

There have been a few $50,000 M35A2 jokes here and there, but this is the first truck I have ever seen that I would say "Easily worth it."

You have raised the bar.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent work and attention to detail a true memorial to the Vietnam era soldier. Also proof that MVPA type restorations and preservation of these vehicles can work right along side with the general use of these vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks