• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Frame Up Restore Labor of Love

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am speechless. I hope mine looks half as good as yours. What did you use for foam in the hard top?
I used the foam PT mats, like the sleeping bag pads. You can find them for about $5. If you cut them right you need about 2.5 of them.

Thanks again for all the good words about the truck!!!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have an idea of what it takes to get there and you have my utmost respect. That's a heck of a job (but the only way to fly).

The pics of it more or less complete with non winch cable look like a truck fresh out of the factory on it's way to it's unit.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2-AZ said:
........ Next time I will paint the parts, and then after the truck is together with the bolts I will paint the truck again with all the bolts getting painted then. That is how the factory did it, I think.
Nice truck, and thank you for posting the detail photos. Your thread has me remembering an experience I had some time ago regarding a discussion about painting a military vehicle.

On another part of this forum I asked a fellow about his WW2 vehicle restoration. I had seen photos of his work and asked him if he was going to put a cover coat over the assembled drive train and under carriage. His reply was that the trucks came from the factory with black brake hoses, exposed nickel plated hardware of various tints and unpainted wiring harnesses, hoses, brackets and brake lines.

He said that the "seal coat" paint jobs are from respray jobs done out in the depots, and that just because that is all we see today, it is not the way they were produced and delivered.

Having repeated all the above, I actually prefer and see some benefit in wrapping up all the surfaces in a single "sealing coat". I would probably do as you are thinking, and I have only mentioned it because you are attempting to paint it correctly for a specific period.

Cheers,

Rick

Woodsplinter

Albert- that is absolutely fabulous! We've talked about this several times but I had no idea how much work you put into this. The paint job looks better than factory- not bad for somebody who hates to paint! :)

I can't wait to see it in person- are you going to put the canvas cargo cover on?

Good job- you made us all proud. I think I see some promotional photos in your future!

Mark

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hmmmmm, I don't know...... I think you might need some more experience on this. Tell you what, I'll bring you over another truck so you can improve and test out you're second truck theory on it. LOL

You've done the hobby a major improvement. That is one absolutely wonderfully looking resto. You need your own TV show. Kinda like being the Robert Irvine of the MV world---MV Makeover.....uh, not that I watch the Cooking channel or anything, it....uh, umm...just happen to be on and the wife hid the remote.

TMNT

I'm jealous and green with envy. Beautiful truck. One day I hope to be able to do the same thing to my Betty.

Another Ahab

If I EVER get a second shot at picking up a Deuce (the whole time/money/reality check thing):

- THIS is the way I would want to go, to get it done.

TOP shelf; you are setting a benchmark.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I could keep it clean when I go into town, but with the dirt road it is just impossible.
But it is a Military truck, needs to be a little dirty, right:-D

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks great! I did a similar frame off restoration, but I decided to bang mine up before I restored it. aua My dad would love your build because that is the same color they had when he was in the reserves. When I rebuilt mine, I tried to put in as many options and upgrades as I could. Electric wipers, A3 air pressure gauge, LED headlights, already had a spring seat, parking brake light, low air pressure light, etc. I love my truck, and I think I love yours too! Good job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks