• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Hercules Injection Pump Wide Open on Start Need cleaning recommendation.

kinghomes

Well my ears have taken a step down in hearing ability and a step up in ringing ability after starting a M109 with stuck governor and loose shut-off cable. For those of you under 30 years, head all the recommendations you hear about hearing protection. This contractor, heavy equipment operator and rock concert goer is paying the price for stupidity. High frequency hearing loss and a constant bell concert playing only one constant note.

Any knowledgeable suggestions about how to clean a gummed up fuel injection pump on a Hercules Multi Fuel e ngine. I am hopping I can take some covers off and spray it with some WD and get it freed up.

How about pushing lubricant through its oil supply tube.

Any Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the shutoff cover, use some carb cleaner as you move the "Fuel Control Rod" lever back and forth. The lever should move freely.

You may need to remove the lever. Make sure you DO NOT lose the small pin at the end of the shaft. The pin also needs to reseated properly.

There are many threads on this. Also the LDS Trouibleshooting manual has some good pictures of what you are dealing with.

Some of the threads are listed at the bottom of the page.

If the following pictures, the fuel is the grey area and plunger sleeve moves up and down controlling the fuel flow. The plunger sleeve pin is the part you DO NOT want to lose.

Fuel Rod.jpgHydrolic Head 1.gif

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Nothing to add to the exellent advice above..but can help (de-gaus!) your ear problem. Take ginko baloba and ginseng supplements regularly, It may well improve the situation. No side effects other than improved memory and joint articulation.
But be patient and consistant as this is a long term solution. Good luck..(it cured my tinitus)

kinghomes

"Some of the threads are listed at the bottom of the page" What page?

Sorry, I should have used heed instead of head above.
Remove the shutoff cover, use some carb cleaner as you move the "Fuel Control Rod" lever back and forth. The lever should move freely.

You may need to remove the lever. Make sure you DO NOT lose the small pin at the end of the shaft. The pin also needs to reseated properly.

There are many threads on this. Also the LDS Trouibleshooting manual has some good pictures of what you are dealing with.

If the following pictures, the fuel is the grey area and plunger sleeve moves up and down controlling the fuel flow. The plunger sleeve pin is the part you DO NOT want to lose.

View attachment 468848View attachment 468849

kinghomes

M109 Lost fuel shut off to fuel control arm retainer clip. Fuel control connecting ar

I lost the small stainless steel retaining clip for my M109 465-1 Hercules injection pump. I dissembled and removed the fuel control dowel and lever arm to clean.
Unfortunately, I did not note the position of the dowel in relationship to the lever arm. The assembly allows 360 degree assembly. Best I can tell from a picture, the control arm goes straight down and the small pin that fits into the end of the fuel control rod assembly should be at its lowest (down position) like the control arm.
I found a picture but it lack the resolution needed.

Thank You

Philip

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, but once you put the "wedge" in there it will not fit in the hole in that position!

You'll need to get a mirror and look in the hole that assembly goes in. You will see the fuel block with a slit in it. The "wedge" needs to go in that slit.

It is not at all fun to do, but take your time and after a few tries, you'll get it.

I see why your lever was seized, wow.

gimpyrobb

I noticed this is in the cucv section, could a mod please move this to the deuce section?

Kinghomes, please try to post in the correct forum section. It will get you quicker replies.

kinghomes

Thanks. What is a CUCV? I saw some pictures here that look like my shop van. I thought this was right section. Do you know how I can get that little stainless wire clip for the governor rod connection?

gimpyrobb

The gov rod should not be able to fall out once you bolt the fuel rod assembly back in. I have used other clips in the past when I found them missing. Let me see if I can dig up the correct term for those clips...