• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Hercules Injection Pump Wide Open on Start Need cleaning recommendation.

welldigger

I forget the correct name for that clip but they sell similar type clips in the hardware section of home depot, tractor supply, lowes. Usually with the nuts and bolts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hairpin?

welldigger

Hitch pin clip. I believe I remember my local home depot having one small enough to work. It's been a while since I have looked.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its like a hair pin, only both sides are curved. The hair pin only has one side curved and one side flat.

It looks a lot like the "parking brake retaining clip" images I found.

Last edited:

kinghomes

M109 with Hercules Multi Fuel Engine Fuel Controll Assembly

Bellow is a re-post I posted in wrong section. I am reposting it here for background. But my current question is bellow

I lost the small stainless steel retaining clip for my M109 465-1 Hercules injection pump. I dissembled and removed the fuel control dowel and lever arm to clean.
Unfortunately, I did not note the position of the dowel in relationship to the lever arm. The assembly allows 360 degree assembly. Best I can tell from a picture, the control arm goes straight down and the small pin that fits into the end of the fuel control rod assembly should be at its lowest (down position) like the control arm.
I found a picture but it lack the resolution needed.

I have now installed the fuel control Assembly but I don't know how to know if I got it right. As this assembly is part of the shut off, I am afraid I could have a runaway motor if it starts. The assembly went in all the way and it seems to have the correct range of motion. If memory serves me, the fuel control control arm will travel freely from about 120 deg to 240 deg. Any ideas or insight?

Thanks
Philip

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Leave the cover off and have someone start it up. You can stand right there and shut it off if there is any issues. If the lever doesn't shut it off, open the fuel bleeder on the top of the filters.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved you other thread to the correct forum a few days ago.

You have started 3 threads on this issue.

Do not post more than one thread on a topic.

I've merged all 3 here. Simply continue on this thread from now on.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looked and I see you actually started a 4 th post (the first on for this issue) and I will now merge it here too.

It helps when people know the full story(in one thread).

Also noticed your first post was in the 5 ton forums.

Pay attention to where you place your threads/posts.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get the assembely looking like this. Then pull the arm back to like the 4 oclock pisition or close to it and the pin will go into the collor. The collor is sitting in the shut down pisition as there is nothing holding it up. So pin at 9 oclock pisition and leaver installed on control shaft 87*. Put it in the head and move the leaver to the rear and it should drop in. If you have trouble just move the leaver to the 4 oclock pisition and look at the pin first. It should be horizontal going in because the collor slot should be horizontal just sitting on the bottom of the head. Guess that would be another thing to check before install of the control assembely but I have never had a problem with the control collor sticking in the up pisition when changing out the heads.

Attachments

Last edited:

kinghomes

Thanks for the help Floridianson. I assembled and fired the puppy right up. Before starting I drained a little fuel from the tank and also drained the filters trying to rid some water, but I did not see much. The truck had not been started in at least five years. After starting the air quickly built up and I drove the truck 1500' to my shop. But, upon approaching my shop she started to stall. The tank only had about two inches in it. Also, when I first started the motor for about 10 seconds I had left the filter bleed screw loose. So I likely sucked some air, water and/or bad fuel. Thanks for all of the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks