• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel filter conversion unit

aaron wood

I have 2 m35a2s, both have a problem with stopped up fuel filters, and their replacement is a bitch. I bought a spin on single filter system, the instructions stated that the single filter a car quest premium fuel/water separator with a bottom drain, Part # 86405 replaced all three stock fuel filters, and their mounts can be removed. I need advice and recommendations. Thanks AW

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think there hard to change. You can switch to all spin on but I myself would leave the stock brackets and plumming in place as the secondary has the return line from the IP running to it then back to the tank.

Last edited:

rustystud

Vacation Orcas Island  4-15 to 18-2014 107.jpgVacation Orcas Island  4-15 to 18-2014 103.jpg
I have 2 m35a2s, both have a problem with stopped up fuel filters, and their replacement is a bitch. I bought a spin on single filter system, the instructions stated that the single filter a car quest premium fuel/water separator with a bottom drain, Part # 86405 replaced all three stock fuel filters, and their mounts can be removed. I need advice and recommendations. Thanks AW
I wouldn't use just one fuel filter. No manufacturer uses just one fuel filter for diesel, and believe me they would for the extra cost if they could get away with it ! You can get away with just using two, Primary and Secondary, but no filter will clean out the water and clean down to 6 microns (which you should have) and do it well.
Here's a picture of my water/fuel filter .

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am using Westfolk's kit that uses a spin-on primary filter with water separator and a spin-on secondary filter (the double bracket is removed). There is considerable doubt as to the effectiveness of the secondary two-filter stock setup; it does not appear as if fuel had to pass through the filters sequentially. Westfolk's filter setup appears to do the job well and also takes care of the IP line.

JasonS

My dodge cummins only has one filter. I would consider the multi to have a deluxe and proper fuel filter system.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you running straight diesel ?
It sounds like your tanks need cleaning.

Jeepsinker

Take your in tank pump out, drain the tank and clean out all the rust particles and other junk. I haven't had a plugged filter since I've done this. You'll be surprised how much crap is in there. Mine came out in handfuls of mostly rust chunks.

steelandcanvas

If you think replacing the 2 fuel filters on a Deuce is a pain, don't look forward to ever doing any real maintenance, i.e. clutch replacement, brake shoe replacement, etc.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me ask this as I'm bad a math. How big of a micron partical would fit through a deisel fuel injector tip if the tip had a .006 size hole. Now that is a small hole and I don't think they get much smaller. I could measure a tip off a Deuce if need be so that could be a higher number like .010 hole in the tip of the injector. Are we trying to protect the IP plunger or worried about the injectors. 10 microns is pretty small so 10 micron fuel filter would seem to be plenty one would think.

Last edited:

welldigger

10 micron is standard on fuel filters. Caterpillar conducted a study and found that down to around 7 micron is still damaging to common rail fuel injection systems.

Considering that the deuce fuel system doesn't develope nearly the pressure that a common rail system does (around 3500 vs. 26,000) 10 micron filters are fine for the deuce. This is assuming you are putting clean diesel in. If running wmo or similar type fuel I would suggest a smaller micron filter as these filters are only around 60% efficient.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea with a clean tank I still think the Deuce has a good system. Yes for ease of change just going to spin on but I think rather than changing to anything else add a air dryer to the Deuce not change the whole system. Heck it has three water traps. The primary filter can be a problem for some. I just grab a wrench and loosen the canister bolt one turn then spin the canister off. Then on reinstall I just spin the canister up till it just makes contack with the gasket, then tighten the canister retainer bot a couple of turns. I can do a primary faster than one of finals. To the OP look into spin on or if you have a trash tank just clean it and run the stock filters if you are running clean deisel fuel. I can't rember the thread but there is a 10 micron filter for the final.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to put it out there Green Deisel corp. has a common rail injection system they say produces 160,000 psi. Now that is some pressure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks