• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel filter conversion unit

welldigger

Actually they are very affective in the primary cleaning of particles. That's why manufactures waste there money on them.
I agree with Jeepsinker. I hardly call a screen to keep "gravel" out of the fuel system a filter. Yes it does catch the large chunks but that's about it. Nothing high tech about that.

Jeepsinker

Don't get me wrong Rusty, i would not do away with my in tank screen, but only catching large particles does not qualify it as a filter in my book. However minute it may be, there is a difference in a screen and a filter.

rustystud

What ? A filter is a filter, where it removes large or small particles. Though the in tank "screen" as you call it really does filter out a lot of stuff. Just for grins and giggles why don't you take it off for awhile after you replace the main filter (keep this filter for later) . Then with a new main filter and the "screen" off run it for a month. After a month, replace the main filter and cut it in half. Now compare this filter to the old filter. I did this in Tech School. You can tell us what your results where, then I'll tell you what my results where.

welldigger

What ? A filter is a filter, where it removes large or small particles. Though the in tank "screen" as you call it really does filter out a lot of stuff. Just for grins and giggles why don't you take it off for awhile after you replace the main filter (keep this filter for later) . Then with a new main filter and the "screen" off run it for a month. After a month, replace the main filter and cut it in half. Now compare this filter to the old filter. I did this in Tech School. You can tell us what your results where, then I'll tell you what my results where.
No one is arguing the screen doesn't serve a purpose.

rustystud

No one is arguing the screen doesn't serve a purpose.
My point was I never saw a system that didn't have at least two fuel filters, weather you consider a "screen" a filter or not it still filters.
So I take it no one wants to try the experiment ? Well I'll tell you my results. After I pulled the filter and cut it in half I compared it to the old filter which had been using the fuel pump screen.
The new filter just after one month was totally scummed up with filth ! The old filter was still usable . My instructor told me THERE was my answer.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yeah man that should be obvious. We all know the screen is important. It is simply semantics here. On another note, I have many many 5 tons here that only have one fuel filter and no screen in the tanks here right now. Approximately 20 of them, and they are A2 models.

rustystud

Yeah man that should be obvious. We all know the screen is important. It is simply semantics here. On another note, I have many many 5 tons here that only have one fuel filter and no screen in the tanks here right now. Approximately 20 of them, and they are A2 models.
Like I said before I don't know about the 5 ton units. I still would use more then one fuel filter though. But hey, it's your engine !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0905dp_green_diesel_corp_fuel_injectors/

I don't know about stupid.

Aaron with the correct filters the Deuce has a good system and outher than maybe switching to spin on's for the ease I think it is silly to get rid of the Three filter system. More important thing I think is to add something to the fuel to bring up cetane and replace the lost sulfer for lubrisity. I over dose all my trucks and NAPA has a bottle for 9 bucks and I add it to one tank full. If the bottel says it does 100 gal. I add it to fifty.

Last edited:

welldigger

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0905dp_green_diesel_corp_fuel_injectors/

I don't know about stupid.

Aaron with the correct filters the Deuce has a good system and outher than maybe switching to spin on's for the ease I think it is silly to get rid of the Three filter system. More important thing I think is to add something to the fuel to bring up cetane and replace the lost sulfer for lubrisity. I over dose all my trucks and NAPA has a bottle for 9 bucks and I add it to one tank full. If the bottel says it does 100 gal. I add it to fifty.
Looks like green diesel corp was more smoke and mirrors than reality. Not saying they didn't develope an injection system but it seems that's about as far as they got.

rustystud

The cummins would probably outlast all the others without a fuel filter anyway, assuming that there was a test group of engines run with no filters.
The Cummins 250 is a good engine, but no engine can run without filters. Also how often do the injectors have to be replaced ? On our Cummins engines that's around 50,000 to 60,000 miles.

rustystud

Can the Moderators please remove the oil diagram ! I hit the wrong button and now I cannot remove the stupid picture ! (Maybe I'm the stupid one since I cannot remove the picture)

welldigger

Does wix or Baldwin even make a 5 micron filter in the old cannister style filters? Most of them I see that fit the deuce are 10 micron. My spin on's are 6 micron.

The cat filters I referenced are 3 micron nominal. With a way higher efficiency rating of anything else on the market except high end specialty filters that are absolute rated.