• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door Hinge pins

zak

Does anybody know where I can get the door hinge pins, (their bolts really) when using the west coast style mirrors. I tried a couple of vendors but no luck.

Larry Sage
Ortonville, Mi

1974 m342a2
1953 m37cdn
1953 m43

Attachments

rgregj

I think Saturn surplus has them. I ordered a set of standard pins a couple of weeks ago, and they wanted to make sure they weren't the west coast style. You may also want to try white owl parts in NC. Good luck.

Greg

devilman96

You can replace them with 5/16 X 3 inch bolts but will end up back in trouble with the hinges freezing up after a while.

The above mentioned kit I carry was something I devised after being fed up with my own doors as well as many request from others to come up with a bushed design which would work for both function and future disassembly without the need of a torch and hammer.

The technical article I wrote for these is here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=52

After writing the article many complained that finding the mentioned bushings was more difficult than I anticipated and / or very over priced from what I mentored in the article so I put together the kit for the sake of obtaining everything easily.

If you are interested in purchasing the kit I do strongly recommend you FIRST READ THE TECH ARTICLE... This modification requires some level of know how with hand and power tools. It takes some "fiddling" and fitting to get just right but In the end you will have doors which open and close effortlessly with bushings that will last forever.

http://odiron.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=4_56&products_id=37 Door pin kit....

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder how hard it would be to get a patch panel made up like Zak is installing. Wonder if the cheap little harbor freight brakes could make up something like that? That is a very common area of rust on these trucks and I have a door that needs just that.

jasonjc

Recovry4x4 said:
Wonder how hard it would be to get a patch panel made up like Zak is installing. Wonder if the cheap little harbor freight brakes could make up something like that? That is a very common area of rust on these trucks and I have a door that needs just that.

I think the HF ones would do ok. But for that patch it would have to be a box pan break.

ah1955

If you can get a AuVeCo catalog they have ever kind of auto body nut & bolt, fitting ,connector, weather stripping that you can think of and then some.
They don't sell direct on line they are dealer only ( I think some dealers are on line ? )
The truck shop I work in has a fastener dealer that handles them and he gave me a catalog.
I used there #16390 sponge rubber door seal worked great ( my cost 5.00 for the 15ft. roll) I found a door hinge pin that has the same dimension as the ones I took out one was sheered off other O.K. think the listing showed for a Dodge van tail gate ? the only thing different no hex head or threaded end.
Use anti-seaze and alittle spray lube from time to time on problem.
And Kenny I have a local metal fab. shop that does work for us that I give him mesuments and he sheers and brakes the piece for me very resenable price. had both rocker panals two peices with two bends and two straight pieces metal and shop labor $35 that did both sides.

FreightTrain

Banned
Don't bother with the HF junker.We have one at the race shop and it flexes a bunch.You get a nice sharp corner on the ends but it rounds out in the middle.Know anyone that works in a stamping plant?They usually have a brake press somewhere or find a fabrication shop and have them make a bunch of panels.....Also I am sure you can get panels already made up like this.

rdixiemiller

I made up a pair for a couple of doors I had that were rusty, I think they are still in the basement somewhere. I have access to a big box and pan brake. I have seen some on GL that had a patch panel that ran the length of the door, lapped over the ends and bottom, and covered the rusty area. These were applied in motor pools. A guy I know in Montgomery had a bunch of them, and the repair kits for the rocker panels. These were milsurp items. You blasted the rust, primed and painted the areas. Then, the patch panels slipped over the entire bottom of the door and were secured with pop rivets.
Is the front corner the area that rusts out the most?

zak

Your right about the flex in the cheap bender. This was the longest bend I could do and I still had to hammer to get the bends right.It might be ok with thinner metal, but 16ga is the thickest I'd want to do. Once I had the old metal cut out I sandblasted the area outside and inside. After the patches were put on, I taped all the holes in the bottom of door and shloshed por around on the inside. Hopefully no more rust.

Larry Sage

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd buy a pair of inner door patches (for the front edge) and I'd like to see rocker panel/lower cowl patches for the common rust areas (see pic)

Attachments

zak

Devilman if you decide to make up patches make some that will go under the bent over door skin. Becase my bender was primitive I had to make the patch for the passenger door in two peices. I cut off the bent over lip slipped the piece under then welded on a thin strip to duplicate the bent-over lip. Being a novice and short on the "right" tools premade patches would save alot of time and look better in the end.Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks