• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door Hinge pins

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Zak, how did you bend your sheet metal in order to make the patch panels?

Also, D-man, any movement of premade patch panels? :D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Zak, how did you bend your sheet metal in order to make the patch panels?

Also, D-man, any movement of premade patch panels? :D
Shameless, shameless bump. :razz:

OD_Coyote

Does anybody know where I can get the door hinge pins, (their bolts really) when using the west coast style mirrors. I tried a couple of vendors but no luck.
I hope your hinge pins came out easier than mine did. Even after soaking them in PB-Blaster then removing the hinge from the truck, putting them in a vice and applying heat and a 3lb doublejack I could not get them to budge. I ended up buying new hinges from SS.

JCKnife

You can replace them with 5/16 X 3 inch bolts but will end up back in trouble with the hinges freezing up after a while.

The above mentioned kit I carry was something I devised after being fed up with my own doors as well as many request from others to come up with a bushed design which would work for both function and future disassembly without the need of a torch and hammer.

The technical article I wrote for these is here Steel Soldiers

After writing the article many complained that finding the mentioned bushings was more difficult than I anticipated and / or very over priced from what I mentored in the article so I put together the kit for the sake of obtaining everything easily.

If you are interested in purchasing the kit I do strongly recommend you FIRST READ THE TECH ARTICLE... This modification requires some level of know how with hand and power tools. It takes some "fiddling" and fitting to get just right but In the end you will have doors which open and close effortlessly with bushings that will last forever.

OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories Door pin kit....
Are these still available? Link is not working and I couldn't get the search function on the OD Iron site to work, either.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished the hinge kit upgrade from OD Iron and it provides a super smooth action which can be removed when needed. I suggest you do the hinge drilling with a drill press if possible but it is not mandatory. Good luck.

JCKnife

Got a link? I can't find ANYTHING on their site. Bunch of dead and do-nothing hyperlinks on the home page, I feared they were out of business!

No phone number listed; contact form does not work. Man, that is one broken website!

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right. Their website is screwed up. I ordered my kits one year ago and they cost $32.98 plus shipping for both doors. Their part number is hngkit001 My receipt did not have a phone number but I contacted them at: sales@odiron.com

Good luck.

Heavysteven

I had to replace a couple myself. Got a couple used ones from Tom CSI in Tallaposa Ga.

I tried to take the bolt to a Metro Bolt but the treads at the end are recessed. Old ones fit in perfect and I did not have to remove the door.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD Iron is currently "out of business" until some internal issues are resolved. Hopefully it will be soon.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Joe, I might have a pin or two, but you'll have to remind me Monday morn to look. This weekend is busy at work.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The specs for the door bolt are:

THREAD LENGTH
0.620 INCHES MINIMUM

NOMINAL THREAD DIAMETER
0.250 INCHES

FASTENER LENGTH
3.250 INCHES NOMINAL

SURFACE TREATMENT
CADMIUM OR ZINC OVERALL

HEAD HEIGHT
0.210 INCHES NOMINAL

HEAD STYLE
HEXAGON

THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH

THREAD DIRECTION
RIGHT-HAND

SHOULDER DIAMETER
0.2800 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.2810 INCHES MAXIMUM FIRST SHOULDER

MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATION
SAE GR 5 ASSN STD SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE OVERALL

SHOULDER LENGTH
2.560 INCHES NOMINAL FIRST SHOULDER

THREAD SERIES DESIGNATOR
UNF

MATERIAL
STEEL OVERALL

WIDTH BETWEEN FLATS
0.500 INCHES NOMINAL

SURFACE TREATMENT DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATION
QQ-P-416,TY 2,CL 3 FED SPEC 1ST TREATMENT RESPONSE OR QQ-Z-325,TY 2,CL 3 FED SPEC 2ND TREATMENT RESPONSE OVERALL

SHOULDER SHAPE
ROUND FIRST SHOULDER

THREAD CLASS
2A

It would be neat to make some, but they are an oddball spec for sure. if somebody had a lathe, i bet they could make a couple up without too much problem.

Last edited:

JCKnife

Memphis has standard hinge pins in stock. I was just hoping to get those modified OD Iron ones that seem to be better. But since they are Tango Uniform I'll go ahead with the pins from Memphis.

AceHigh

Removing the old ones involved heat, PB blaster, small back and forth movements, more heat, more PB blaster, more small movements. If you hammer it from the bottom it will quickly mushroom even with the nut on the end.

Once I got them out I drilled the hole and put in a new off the shelf bolt. I forget the size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks