• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch installs

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, I will be mounting the same winch on the front of my m923. Can you post more details on how you mounted the winch?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pictures of mine. Coffey's went on the same way as we are in the process of installing 6 of these winches.
IMG_20140622_194234_001.jpgIMG_20140622_194223_988.jpgIMG_20140622_200600_802.jpgIMG_20140624_203900_759.jpgIMG_20140624_203911_899.jpgIMG_20140626_191015_703.jpg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Andy I am not a good camera guy.
By the way Andy is the chief engineer on this project with out him this project would not have happened.
Many thanks Andy it is appreciated.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Cable Looks awful lite for a 5t, looks like 1/2" or 7/16" cable, a stuck deuce can break its 1/2" cable, a 5t uses 5/8" cable which it can break very easy, a to lite a cable is very, very, dangerous because it presents a FALSE sense of CAN DO. The install would look nice on a deuce, on a 5t. I REALLY have my doubts.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cable Looks awful lite for a 5t, looks like 1/2" or 7/16" cable, a stuck deuce can break its 1/2" cable, a 5t uses 5/8" cable which it can break very easy, a to lite a cable is very, very, dangerous because it presents a FALSE sense of CAN DO. The install would look nice on a deuce, on a 5t. I REALLY have my doubts.
And so it begins. These winches came off of an MRAP, a 27,000 + lb vehicle, which, according to your line of thinking, only a fool would attempt to use it on said vehicle. I appreciate your concern but I have no intentions of ever using it beyond it's capacity. I didn't buy these trucks to bury them in the mud. These winches have an Overload Interrupt feature which hopefully will shut it down before something breaks. I intend to use it to pull trees, limbs or the occasional stuck motorist after our ice storms we have every Blue Moon. Just my 2 cents worth. To each his own.

helomech

7/16 cable is rated at around 16k lbs and 1/2 cable is rated over 20k lbs.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy and I are over 50 years old I don't believe we have false sense about anything.
We know even if it was a 100,000 lb winch anything can happen.
It's called common sense and knowing what your limits are.
Ron thank you for your concern. But as Andy said we will not be sinking our trucks in some mud bog.
I do think the winch will handle pulling my truck for those rare occasions when I slide off in a ditch and can't get traction.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, how much did you have to extend the frame for the winch to fit and where did you get the extensions? I picked up my winch last week and I am just getting started.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked at warn site and to see what cable it is designed for and it has 1/2 inch.
I don't think warn would put cable on a 18k winch that could not handle 18k or better.
And yes you can break a cable I broke mine on the deuce that's because a guy nicked mine with a chain saw. So you need to do cable maintenance and not use if there are Nick's or frayed palaces in it.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Andy don't beat me to it I will measure everything for you this weekend.
The frames came from a truck manufacturers that take new trucks and cut the frames to put boxes on or rollbacks and they sold it for scrap.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The extensions are 18" long with approximately 9.5" of overlap to catch the 2 rear holes. A fellow member, Hard head, found the 10" C channel pieces of truck frame at a truck mod business.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy/ Coffey1 thanks for posting the details, I plan to start on mine as soon as I find some frame channels to make the extensions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks