• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockout choice

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am planning on buying lockout hubs for the deuce when I get back or just before I get back to America. I know this has been discussed in great detail but I am undecided on which one to use or if there are any other choices other than the two I know of Selectro and Oversons Just looking for some advise from my friends here on the site. If you can tell me why especially if you own any of them please let me know. I love having them on the CUCV and the CJ's and am really looking forward to putting them on the duece

Rattlehead

The Oversons have better sealing (multiple O-rings) and appear to be heavier duty, but they will stick out much farther on your front axle.

The Selectro, which is what I have on one side of my rear axles, only has a single O-ring to seal out the crud, and is not made as heavy duty. I was kinda disappointed in how it works. There are 3 set screws that ride in a channel when you rotate it to lock/unlock, and that is all that holds the outer plate/mechanism on. The single O-ring rides in another groove. I have taken mine in the mud and inspected it afterward and found no crud in the bearing, but am also careful when cleaning around it.

If you are using with a shortened double splined rear axle to unbind the 2 rears, protrusion is not a problem (with duals), and I would definitely take the Overson. For the fronts, its a trade-off as mentioned above.

OD_Coyote

I went with the Selectros on my truck and I am happy with them. FWIW - I would have gone with the Oversons if they did not stick out so far. They kind of remind me of the chariot race in the movie Ben Hur. :lol:
I think the Oversons would look fine if you are going to be running wider tires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I voted for forged. I do not know the price differance between cast and forged, but I know forged is better.

m38inmaine

I don't have them on the front but I do have a double splined and single Overson on my rear and it works great, and very high quality.

houdel

Oversons are a superior product durability wise, but if I were to purchase a set I'd go with Selectros on the basis of appearance. The Oversons just stick out too far. The Selectros seem to be plenty strong for most uses, I can't recall anyone saying the ever broke a Selectro. For serious off road exercises I might consider an Overson, but then again the added length of the Overson may be a liability in certain terrains.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For some reasons, I seem to think the forged were discontinued in favor of the cast.

My vote is for the Ouversons.....even though the Selectros look eleventy million times better.....

HookAChain

I believe Ouverson is redesigning the forged hubs and thats why theyre off the site. I have a set of steering 2.5 ton rears in my garage and they came with a set of AMS(i believe ill have to double check) locking hubs. They seem to be well built and are easy to turn(2 fingers), here is a poor quality picture of them next to the new axles

If they still make them they'd be a good choice IMO

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I pulled up in the driveway today with my wife in the car, and spotted "the box!" I knew one of my favorite persons had visited the house today. And, by the way, no one can tell me that Santa Clause wears a red suit and rides in a sleigh! I know he wears a brown outfit, and drives a brown truck. ALL YEAR!
Anyway, my Ouverson alloy axle and single lock-out hub has arrived. I unpacked it, which took a bit. That was some packaging! I took the axle out and showed it to my wife. She said, "That's nice." :roll: (Why did I bother?) Then I show her the hub. She says, "Oh, is that the clicky thing?" aua

I think I'll wait to install it tomorrow after the excitement has subsided, and I don't make a mistake.

I held the hub up to the forward-rear dual, which is where I will be installing it. Looks awesome! Now on the front? Yes. It may protrude a bit much. I still think it is a well engineered, quality piece. I spoke to Randy Ouverson about them. He really took the time and had plenty of patience to explain his work to me. That was good enough. After studying all the input on this topic...? Ouverson! Hands down!

Thanks to everyone involved, especially Mike at OD Iron.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks guys the only problem is photobucket and utube are blocked by our server here in Korea. Is is possible for one of you to post the picture that Hook a chain(HAC) took? Also a big welcome to you HAC I am sure you will find this to be a great site like the rest of us have.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HookAChain said:
....they came with a set of AMS ....If they still make them they'd be a good choice IMO
I think you mean AVM? At least the logo in the pic looks very similar to me.
AVM is a Brazilian manufacturer with very good reputation. Here is their site and catalog: http://www.avm.com.br/products4.htm
I just contacted them again ( last time was 10 years ago and no response!) to see if they would offer them now. :roll:
They make free wheeling hubs for almost every 4x4 on earth so why not for our rockwells? :?

G.

Next day good news! The answer was: "We are happy to inform you that the production of the manual free wheeling hub for the M35 REO has just started again. The model # is AVM 434 ".

:D :D :D

devilman96

By the by guys... I have not had the time I need to fully set Randy's products up but I am now carrying Ouverson products... Hope to get the listings finished in the next week or so and I will repost when their all up...

rmgill

My truck with the Ouverson Engineering Cast hubs. Talking to randy about them I seem to recall that he said the forged ones were just overkill. I think he said he'd yet to have any of the cast one's come back broken. The Ouverson hubs even come with a set of hex cap screws (Grade 8 iirc).

Oh, they're also VERY good steps for getting up on the fenders when you've installed 1100 tires on your truck.

Attachments

spicergear

If you're okay with the look of the 1.25" extra length of the Ouverson units then there's no reason not to go with them. If you don't...go Selectro. Ouverson units are better sealed, allow full spline engagement of the outter shaft, don't have a plastic ramp thingy for engagement, don't have any plastic in them, have bearings, are held together with 8 allen head bolts, not three screws, and by design are definately stronger. That being said, I've POUNDED the set of Selectros that I have on my big block, Detroit Locked Rockwell'ed M715 and they've taken it all with no problems. I bought the Selectros before Randy had his on the market or they'd be what's on my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks