• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockout choice

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am buying Ouversons for the front and middle axle next fall

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully there will be a third choice soon! Check my edited post regarding AVM!
I've asked for specs and quotation and I'll keep in touch with them...

G.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just completed and photographed the install process of my Ouverson on the driver's side forward-rear axle. I can post the pics here, or start a thread "Ouverson Axle & Hub Installation." That is, if it hasn't been done with pics elsewhere.
Or, David, I can e-mail you the photos.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking here. So if AVM is a brazillian company I wonder how this effects the price of the hubs.

jatonka

Hello all of the Steel Soldiers, hey, are the selectros actually available to purchase as of right now? I am thinking that they are not in production any more. I need to be corrected, or somebody agree with me if you also know we can't get them any more.
Next, I am going to measure the mounted length of a set of selectros against a set of AVMs tomorrow at my shop and will post the results tomorrow night. I have some of each. I know the selectros seem shorter but they are mounted on a thick spacer so that you don't need to cut part of your axle shaft off. I believe it makes the overall length the same.
Next, the big one..... I have been developing a lockout hub since September 2006 with AVM which is based on lockout hubs they made in the 1950's for deuces. I have sent samples, requested prototypes to test, offered money in adavance, and basicly begged them to build them and do business with me. As of August 2007 I now have a brand new set on my M35A1 with 10' dump bed and I am working them real hard. The average load is 8 to 9 tons and driving on asphalt road, gravel road and sod covered fields with them locked in all the while, so far nothing gone wrong except me front tires are wearing fast.
Last, I think I am the USA sole distributor if there is any honor across international borders. I can use the business and I will stand behind the product as I do all od my other Deuce parts and accessories. I look forward to your replies and comments. John Tennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, the folks at Milemarker are difficult to deal with on their best day. With that said I recall talking to one of them and they had not made a restocking run. Wether they will or not, who knows. I'd rather go to the dentist than to Milemarker.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked selectro in the vote because they are low profile. At the time of purchase, it was the only option. I do not ford, and I think I would still prefer the same low profile of the selectro.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I 've got a set of selectro's I got them from boyce equipment. They are plenty tough. I have pounded them pretty hard. They haven't broke or malfuctioned execpt for leaking. They seem to hold water in the hub pretty well!!! It they even see water in a ditch while driving down the road they will just about suck up a quart or to LOL!
Seriously. They have leaked water/mud into the bearings since day one! I have replaced the o-rings and no difference. I have to dissesemble and clean/repack bearings each time i go off road. Unless i'm going for the weekend. Then i reinsall the orignals they seal pretty well! They work great but like others they were the only option when i bought them.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I described my application to AP Bloom and he said if I ever broke a selectro he would replace it (perhaps on account of their warranty or reputation). I pulled down a very robustly built house with the truck and in 1st low and the wheels were spinning all round, jerking, torquing, I broke a logging chain, etc. If it were going to break that would have been the time. Aside from fording complaints which probably should be analyzed further, I think they are plenty strong for all but the exceptionally rough and abusive users, and even so has anyone ever heard of one breaking? And they look more stock-ish. I think an axle or u-joint would break first.

Speaking of which, I see u-joints, but are there any CV joints for the deuce for eliminating the steering wheel jerking when turning?

dabtl

I thought about the Overson and Selectro at some length.

So, I think, just for fun, I will see what John Tennis comes up with. I have been very satisfied with his filter adapters and I kind of think the lock out hubs from him will be worth waiting for.

So, come on John, get the stuff ready to sell!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks