• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECU generator/HVAC

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just picked up a ECU from CARNAC at the rally. Does anyone have a TM for it? It appears to be missing a few things that I'm also looking for.

Here's the info from the placard:

Mfg Date: Sept 1997
FSCM: 05NF7
PN: 2000198
Made by Powersystems International Inc in Hauppage, NY. (Apparently defunt now, number isn't working)

Apparently it's a turbocharged Lister Petter diesel and a 20kw generator head. The ECU portion can cool and heat, I'll see if it works later on, mainly wanting the genset to run. From what I've found internally, there's the following things missing. Watt Transducer, Voltage Regulator, and Generator Controller. There's also some wiring I'm sure that needs to be redone in there as well. (That's why I'm needing a TM) Also I think the cut off solenoid is MIA (this might be an actuator though?.) I found a TM from DRASH, that appears to be close to what I'm working on, but not exactly the same. I did see that the example listed used a SE350 voltage regulator. I was able to find those VR's online easily. The watt transducer is listed as a M100-WA5. I found two examples of them for sale online. But I'm clueless on the generator controller.

Is engine RPM controlled by the GC and the actuator? From what I saw on the backside of the engine, there's where a throttle would be connected, but it's stopped in both directions I'm guessing to lock in at 1800rpm. Would the mechanical governor not adjust RPM on demand? If so, I'd only need a stop solenoid for shutdown correct? (I have a 24vdc stop left over from some APC I had years back. Maybe I could re-purpose that)

And of course, here's some pics:
IMAG4760.jpgIMAG4758.jpgIMAG4759.jpgIMAG4757.jpgIMAG4756.jpgIMAG4753.jpgIMAG4754.jpg

Gunzy

You may try to gey a hold of Marathon. I know they are still around as the truck fleet I work on has a few F450s with Marathon generators in them, but they are driven by Hyundia 4 cylunder gas engines.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt they'd be able to help, they only made the generator head used. I've been trying to read up a little more though. I *think* a lot of this is off the shelf kind of parts. It looks like the generator controller is mainly there for overspeed and shutdown situations. I've found a few generic ones listed.

As to the output, I guess I'll leave it 3 phase output unless I find the HVAC section inop. It apparently runs exclusively on 3 phase. I do have a load bank though. Perhaps I could run that on the 3rd Y to prevent imbalance?

Landbarger

You may want to check with HDT Systems. I suspect that they took ownership of Powersystems International, or at least assumed production of their products, and may have some helpful information. I haven't had any luck getting any information from them in my inquiries, however. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Most of the generator/ECU trailers I've seen listed as "05NF7" looked like this one: http://www.ironplanet.com/i/535/60/535060_6465_159_0001.jpg (per forum rules, the linked unit is already sold). They are very similar to yours but have a slightly different ECU. My unit (http://www.ironplanet.com/i/476/667/476667_3082_159_0001.jpg) was definitely the same exact thing as the one in the first link, but was incorrectly listed as an "HP-2C DRASH Shelter Transport" on GP. They are now marketed by HDT (http://www.hdtglobal.com/product/35kw-get/). Interestingly, both businesses have used the same manufacturing address; see pic below ("05NF7" on left, mine on right).

PSI - HDT.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I actually gave HDT a call yesterday and they gave me a cell phone for someone. I left a message yesterday but haven't heard back yet. Dunno how inclined they'll be to giving over the TM to it, or let alone part numbers for it. Is there any chance you could pop open your generator and take pics under the gauge panel? I'd be interested to see what the part numbers are on the Watt Transducer, Voltage Regulator, and Generator controller. Also if you're inclined, could you take a pic of the generator engine area on the side in the middle? I *think* it's just a solenoid for shutdown, but knowing my luck it'll be some sort of servo with RPM control.

Landbarger

Getting the information off the watt transducer was going to be a pain (you can see where the data sticker is underneath the wiring and attachment plate) but if you get to the point you really need the info off of it I'll pull it and take a picture that's more useful.

Watt transducer, voltage regulator, generator/overspeed(?) controller:
IMG_1219.jpgIMG_1218.jpgIMG_1221.jpg

I've got hosing strapped between the generator and ECU and didn't have time to unload it yesterday. I think that's the area you're asking about.

I hope these were helpful.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for the pics. My only concern is that my wire numbers are not the same and there's a lot of wires missing.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, after a little bit of reading I bought a M100-WA5 transducer. With a little time I think I've sorted the pinouts of the wiring I have to it.

Trans Term --------- ECU Wire
2 ------------------ 67 (L1 direct connection)
5 ------------------ 68 (L2 direct connection)
8 ------------------ 69 (L3 direct connection)
1 ------------------ 57 (L1 pickup)
4 ------------------ 58 (L2 pickup)
7 ------------------ 59 (L3 pickup)
3 ------------------ 87 (L1 pickup) \
6 ------------------ 94 (L2 pickup) | - All of these share a common grounding and lead
9 ------------------ 95 (L3 pickup) /
15 ------------------ 82 (+ output to meter)
16 ------------------ 81 (- output to meter)
*Pins 13 and 14 unused

Now for the voltage regulator. It's a SE350. I'm kinda iffy on this part though. I'm looking at the TM I have (not exactly right, but it seems close). Some of the numbers match, so that's what I'm going to go with.

AVR ---------------- ECU pins
3 ---------------- 70
4 ---------------- 74
F+ ---------------- 48
F- ---------------- 49
6 ---------------- \
7 ---------------- = There's two wires that lead to the variable resistor on the front of the panel. That's for voltage adjustment.

I'm completely making a guess on the pinout here though save for the VR wiring. But according to the TM there's some numbers matching between my harness and what they have listed.

Voltage Regulator

Connections

CONNECTION

60 Hz ---- no connection
50 Hz ---- no connection
4 ------------ 74-F7-3
6 ------------ 86-CM2-25
7 ------------ 85-CM2-24
F- ----------- 238-TB1-49-1
F+ ---------- 237-TB1-48-1
3 ---------70-F1

As to the Generator controller. I'm going to purchase one like was posted (5221). I know the solenoid is pin 16 and 17 on my ECU. But the rest of the wiring, I haven't figured out yet.

If anyone has a clue or any pointers/corrections, please let me know.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A little more info found. The generator head on this unit is a Marathon unit. The model number is 282PSL1505. In this application it appears that it's wired into a low wye configuration. But it can be rewired to single phase. At least that's an option if the HVAC is inop to use all 20kw.

Here's a link to the manual on the head unit:
http://www.northern-lights.com/media/PDFs/manual_pdfs/SB504.pdf

Poccur

Patracy.... I work for HDT and also worked for Power Systems...PM me your email and I can get you squared away with a manual...and schematics...

Landbarger....I can help with your unit too...PM me and we can chat..

Best regards
Poccur

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you sir! I sent you a PM.

I've got the SE350 regulator installed. The Watt Transducer came in today as well. I haven't had time to wire that in. I have also gotten notice that the generator controller is stateside as well. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have things wired up. Need to pick up batteries though for it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe you could share with the rest of the community ? Or are you not allowed to post this information publically ?
I was actually going to ask him that. The docs I've got are great, but marked not for distribution except by HDT.

Poccur

I am allowed to share the proprietary information with the equipment owners. Beyond that, I am sorry to say, I cannot go.
Regards
Pocccur

Landbarger

I am allowed to share the proprietary information with the equipment owners. Beyond that, I am sorry to say, I cannot go.
Regards
Pocccur
I understand the general curiosity we all share about .mil equipment, but since some of it is HDT's proprietary information I consider it above and beyond (in a business sense, of course) to be willing to share it with owners. I doubt many DoD manufacturers put any effort into looking up data for things we've purchased on the secondary market. That HDT will help out downstream owners with their used stuff is more than laudable in my book.

Thanks again, Poccur.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's alive! I had already ordered a ESD5221 controller, it ended up working, just has extra functions I'm not using. A cheaper controller could be used. It wasn't running that well at first, lots of raw fuel out the exhaust. But that cleared up afterwards. Also I had to adjust the speed sensor a bit. It wasn't giving enough signal for the controller to activate. Got all of that sorted and ran it for about a half an hour this morning under a 10KW load. Then at the end I plugged in a 1500w heater and a 1500w hair drier. It handled them as well with no complaint. The only issue I have is no wattage display. Any thoughts on how to diagnose a wattage transducer? I'm guessing that's the problem.

uploadfromtaptalk1447599711299.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447599718913.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After a bit of testing, we determined the transducer was inop, I bought another one, hope to see it soon. (And I hope it works!) Used a bottle to replace the puke tank that was busted. Topped off the coolant. Got the controller dialed in and holding the generator much better. Flipping the loads on and off. Also installed two batteries. So outside the transducer, the generator is almost done.

I tried turning on the ECU. But only heard the generator load slightly (around 5 amps I think). But the fan never kicked on. Turned it back off and opened up the control panel. Looks like there's some wires disconnected in there. So more troubleshooting to come.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks