• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Air Horn Install

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a new MRAP air horn to replace the wimpy horn. I've searched around and can't find a thread on this subject if there is please point it out. If not I'll post my install here.
While I'm waiting for delivery, does any one have some good advice on where I could get the air supply from? Preferably near the original horn location (passenger side behind the front bumper). Pictures always help.
Thanks guys!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I put a Whelen 100watt airhorn/pa in my 1078 and I have a Grover stuttertone airhorn I am going to connect with an air solenoid in my 1088. The horn is 24 volt in the truck.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This one from the MRAP already has the 24volt solenoid with the military connectors already on it. So I just need a good air source for it. Where did you get air from?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Maybe. But dont mess with them. Just asking for trouble. Come off a tank right to an 80-85 psi pressure protection valve then to the solenoid and horn wherever you mount it.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with suprman and going to get the air from a tank. I would hate to rob something else more important of air while blowing the horn. After taking a quick look under the FMTV I found that the air tank closest to the front has a threaded hole that is plugged and would be a good source.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith where did you get your horn? One of my only real complaints about the truck is the wimpy sounding horn.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you are going air horn a Grover 1510 or copy of it will give you a very authoritive traffic clearing sound. I have them in my older 5 tons.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished the horn Install. That has got to be one of my favorite upgrades yet. It brings a smile to my face every time I push the horn now. No more old VW Bug sounding horn.
It has a good tone to it, not Extremely Crazy loud but VERY loud.
Here are some pictures and a parts list. I know some people wont like the push connectors I choose but they are so much easier and if there is a problem I installed a valve that can turn it all off very easily.
Here are all the parts for it laid out. Obviously the hoses will be longer and I'm also installing an air chuck.
Air line example.jpg Horn parts list.jpgHorn&Box.jpg
The parts are fro McMaster the horn is from flea bay.
I modified the existing horn mount by drilling one extra hole because the original hole spacing was to wide. Then I cut the old hole off to clean up the bracket.
Hornmounted.jpg
Drilled a couple holes in the storage box and mounted it after it was all painted.
Horn with airline.jpg
Here you can see the air line. Another great part is you don't have to do anything with the wiring except un plug the old horn and plug in the new one.
Air tank.jpg
I removed the 1/2" pipe plug from the tank closest to the front for the air source.
Air chuck.jpg
After everything was installed I did pressure tested it and leak checked all the joints with soapy water. Everything passed.
Also You may notice I didn't put any kind of pressure regulator on it! Keeping it simple and from some good advice from another member, I decided not to.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom from the people that helped out.

Last edited:

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little critique here, we are supposed to be using DOT rated pushlok fittings.
I agree, but got frustrated with trying to find a supplier of them the dot connectors. NAPA lists them by part number with no size specs. i kept running into dead ends.
So I went with what I found at Mcmaster.
Do you know where to find them without the wild goose chases?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, but got frustrated with trying to find a supplier of them the dot connectors. NAPA lists them by part number with no size specs. i kept running into dead ends.
So I went with what I found at Mcmaster.
Do you know where to find them without the wild goose chases?
I have found them on ebay by searching "DOT push to connect" and at my local heavy duty parts house.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I'm in a very rural with the closest truck supply, being 60 miles away so I was hoping for a single supplier with good descriptions that we could all go to with confidence and order them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks