• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Air Horn Install

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One way to fix not having a empty hole is to make your own. Drilled, tapped, and soldered.
FWIW, I'd be terrified to drill and tap into an air tank, or drill into an air tank to weld on a disc of thicker steel (I assume) which was then tapped, without completely dismounting and pressure testing the tank afterwards. At the minimum, I'd be ensuring I didn't lose my air (and brakes!) somewhere down the road, let alone having a pressurized tank self destruct and possibly injure someone. Just sayin'...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy way to have piece of mind and protection is to plumb an air protection valve on any accessory tapped. They are cheap and will prevent the system from draining in case of a catastrophic failure of a line, the rest of the system is safe.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, I'd be terrified to drill and tap into an air tank, or drill into an air tank to weld on a disc of thicker steel (I assume) which was then tapped, without completely dismounting and pressure testing the tank afterwards. At the minimum, I'd be ensuring I didn't lose my air (and brakes!) somewhere down the road, let alone having a pressurized tank self destruct and possibly injure someone. Just sayin'...
Easy way to have piece of mind and protection is to plumb an air protection valve on any accessory tapped. They are cheap and will prevent the system from draining in case of a catastrophic failure of a line, the rest of the system is safe.
We didn't drill the tank we took one of the 1/2" brass elbows out, drilled tapped, then soldered the new fitting to that (the picture shows the fitting reinstalled with the additional threaded fitting sticking out). No leaks and no concern with the tank integrity. Also we did this on the wet tank so if loss of pressure we should still have braking capacity.

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We didn't drill the tank we took one of the 1/2" brass elbows out, drilled tapped, then soldered the new fitting to that (the picture shows the fitting reinstalled with the additional threaded fitting sticking out). No leaks and no concern with the tank integrity. Also we did this on the wet tank so if loss of pressure we should still have braking capacity.
Ah, it wasn't apparent from the description that is was a fitting that was modified, not the tank itself. So I'm genuinely curious (not throwing stones, I promise!) about why you chose to modify an existing fitting instead of replacing it with a tee? Simple expediency is an acceptable answer, lol. But if there's metric vs. SAE threading issues I totally get it.

Cheers!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, it wasn't apparent from the description that is was a fitting that was modified, not the tank itself. So I'm genuinely curious (not throwing stones, I promise!) about why you chose to modify an existing fitting instead of replacing it with a tee? Simple expediency is an acceptable answer, lol. But if there's metric vs. SAE threading issues I totally get it.

Cheers!
Basically it's 20 miles to the closest place to find a correct fitting and I had the other parts on hand so expediency (and a 40 mile round trip) was the reason. Unfortunately I didn't have an available plugged hole like Keith Knight had. I don't know if that's a difference between a straight M1078 and a M1078A1 or if mine just has extra hoses running around. Either way it was a bit more complicated than I originally thought it would be.

saddamsnightmare

September 20th, 2016.

Interesting comments on the air horns on the LMTV/FMTV. I suspect that like the deuces original airhorns, they are (were) calibrated for European traffic laws, where an American horn would be non compliant. Plus, how much attention do you really want to draw to yourself in combat?

If you want a macho airhorn, locate an Airchime KS-1 switcher (locomotive) horn, only one note, but it can be heard for three miles........[thumbzup]

Another Ahab

September 20th, 2016.

Interesting comments on the air horns on the LMTV/FMTV. I suspect that like the deuces original airhorns, they are (were) calibrated for European traffic laws, where an American horn would be non compliant. Plus, how much attention do you really want to draw to yourself in combat?

If you want a macho airhorn, locate an Airchime KS-1 switcher (locomotive) horn, only one note, but it can be heard for three miles........[thumbzup]
Are they street legal?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Who cares like someone's gonna chase you down with a db meter. Louder the better. I prefer the fire engine stutter tone sound for my air horns. The whelen 100w with pa electronic units are convenient since they don't require air though. Plus you get a pa. After you honk at a bad driver then you can verbally tell them how and why they are such a bad driver. I put two of them in my wife's minivan. Really wakes up the drivers in front of her.

Another Ahab

Who cares like someone's gonna chase you down with a db meter. Louder the better. I prefer the fire engine stutter tone sound for my air horns. The whelen 100w with pa electronic units are convenient since they don't require air though. Plus you get a pa. After you honk at a bad driver then you can verbally tell them how and why they are such a bad driver. I put two of them in my wife's minivan. Really wakes up the drivers in front of her.
A buddy of mine who drives a fine old vintage Ford 350 pick-up with a "train" horn got paying paper once in Arlington County VA (he lives in Loudoun County where he never encountered a problem). I was just wondering.

Another Ahab

Suprman;1922221[COLOR=#daa520 said:
]I've never heard of that around here unless someone was really abusing it. [/COLOR]Big semis have huge horns. Not like a mil truck is much smaller in some cases.
My buddy may have ticked the LEO with some additional antics. He has a personality like that; won't leave well enough alone.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy of mine who drives a fine old vintage Ford 350 pick-up with a "train" horn got paying paper once in Arlington County VA (he lives in Loudoun County where he never encountered a problem). I was just wondering.
Most LEOs west of the MS aren't quite that anal (well maybe in CA). Now if someone is being an a$$ and just hitting his horn for no reason I could see a noise complaint or something but doubt they'd get a ticket just for honking a horn. Plus my new horn is "military specific" so my vehicle, registered as a FMV, would be exempt.

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also live in Northern Virginia and Arlington is known to be completely anal about almost everything. I do my best to avoid the place...

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished the horn Install. That has got to be one of my favorite upgrades yet. It brings a smile to my face every time I push the horn now. No more old VW Bug sounding horn.
It has a good tone to it, not Extremely Crazy loud but VERY loud.
Here are some pictures and a parts list. I know some people wont like the push connectors I choose but they are so much easier and if there is a problem I installed a valve that can turn it all off very easily.
Here are all the parts for it laid out. Obviously the hoses will be longer and I'm also installing an air chuck.
View attachment 639004 View attachment 639006View attachment 639007
The parts are fro McMaster the horn is from flea bay.
I modified the existing horn mount by drilling one extra hole because the original hole spacing was to wide. Then I cut the old hole off to clean up the bracket.
View attachment 639019
Drilled a couple holes in the storage box and mounted it after it was all painted.
View attachment 639021
Here you can see the air line. Another great part is you don't have to do anything with the wiring except un plug the old horn and plug in the new one.
View attachment 639022
I removed the 1/2" pipe plug from the tank closest to the front for the air source.
View attachment 639023
After everything was installed I did pressure tested it and leak checked all the joints with soapy water. Everything passed.
Also You may notice I didn't put any kind of pressure regulator on it! Keeping it simple and from some good advice from another member, I decided not to.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom from the people that helped out.
Thanks Keith! I just performed this upgrade. Worked perfectly. You're my new favorite person!

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want everybody in the vehicles around you to fill their pants up when you blow the horn put you a train horn under the truck with a swing valve on the air line up in the cab ! its the funniest thing youve ever seen

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know where you live but here in Florida mud daubers decided to build their mud nest inside the horns and ruined them. When I replaced the horns I put fiberglass screen on them. Just went big with the screen and used a zip tie to hold the screen on.
I'm in Mesa County CO. It's 4' of snow for 6 months. We do have mud wasps but not very prevalent except 3 months of summer. I like the idea thou. Those yellow jackets will build those honeycomb nests in there if I don't watch out. 👍

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks