• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote Brake Reservoir...Done.

bottleworks

I like the idea of adding a remote reservoir a lot. I got an old M/C reservoir off of an old Acura about a year ago to do this. I just machined some aluminum to the right diameter and made an adapter. Now the neat thing about this is the cap. The cap has a float switch. I have wired the float switch to a 24V relay that will turn on the brake warning light and warning buzzer if the fluid gets low.

Attachments

gbooth

Does the lines plum into the brake cylinder through the vent hole in the cap? (More pictures of the plumbing please)

No.2Diesel

Thank you bottleworks for carrying out this modification and posting the pics. I can't think of a more inconvenient way to check the brake fluid level than on a stock Deuce/5ton. Its location promotes ignorance of the actual fluid level and is probably a huge factor in brake related accidents.

Being the most important system of a motor vehicle, You'd think that checking and/or topping off of the brake fluid level should not have to include:

1.) Opening a trap door
2.) One wrench for the master cylinder cap
3.) One wrench (line wrench, don't round it off) for the vent line
4.) A flashlight
5.) A funnel
6.) Piece of wire to tie up the funnel.
7.) Bonking your head on the steering wheel
8.) Rags to clean up the inevitable mess

Especially when this is promoted as part of the daily pre-flight. You'd need a F*cking syringe to add fluid without making a mess. :?

I have a Wilwood remote kit that's been lounging around for way too long. Your pictures have reminded me of the frustration and inspired me to install this thing immediately. Thank you.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the tee below the reservoir where the switch is located?
Would you share a quck diagram maybe?
Thanx

bottleworks

The float switch is part of the cap. The wiring is simple. The float switch is closed when the fluid low. It controls the ground side of a relay. When that relay is activated, it provides power to the buzzer and light. I will take a picture of the cap. The power side of the coil it switched via the accessory switch. That way it can't come on unless you have the accessory switch on.

Jake0147

I'm curious as well, what's the "T" in the fluid line just below the bracket?

I've got one of these brewing, only in my mind as of yet. Vented with power bleeder provisions. But I like the low fluid warning. Very much so.... Dang, now I'm back at square one.

bottleworks

Jake0147 said:
I'm curious as well, what's the "T" in the fluid line just below the bracket?
Oh that's just making use of the available fittings. I needed an AN fitting of an odd size and those were the only ones readily available.

How does the line usually conected to the elbow in the cap on the MC come into play? Can you just add a tee at that connection and extend the filler line from there. Will the new capacity fill that line that comes into the top of the MC and is it ok to do that?

Nice solution, I plan on doing the same. I like the concept with the warning light and buzzer.
Where is the reservoir located? Can't figure it out from the pictures.

I would locate it behind the drivers seat on the left side, so the fluid level is easily visible when entering the truck, or driving etc.

[thumbzup]

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is on the firewall next to the steering column. Just open the engine side panel and check. Takes seconds.

steelandcanvas

No.2Diesel said:
Thank you bottleworks for carrying out this modification and posting the pics. I can't think of a more inconvenient way to check the brake fluid level than on a stock Deuce/5ton. Its location promotes ignorance of the actual fluid level and is probably a huge factor in brake related accidents.

Being the most important system of a motor vehicle, You'd think that checking and/or topping off of the brake fluid level should not have to include:

1.) Opening a trap door
2.) One wrench for the master cylinder cap
3.) One wrench (line wrench, don't round it off) for the vent line
4.) A flashlight
5.) A funnel
6.) Piece of wire to tie up the funnel.
7.) Bonking your head on the steering wheel
8.) Rags to clean up the inevitable mess

Especially when this is promoted as part of the daily pre-flight. You'd need a F*cking syringe to add fluid without making a mess. :?

I have a Wilwood remote kit that's been lounging around for way too long. Your pictures have reminded me of the frustration and inspired me to install this thing immediately. Thank you.
I could not have said this any better! Checking the MC makes you want to aua !

Jake0147

yellobronc said:
How does the line usually conected to the elbow in the cap on the MC come into play? Can you just add a tee at that connection and extend the filler line from there. Will the new capacity fill that line that comes into the top of the MC and is it ok to do that?
The existing vent line is eliminated, (It's short, it goes to the common vent line) the new fluid line goes directly to the resivoir cap where the vent line used to be. Your new resivoir will have to be vented (to replace the missing vent from the master cylinder),

t120r

wonderfull idea. stock placement is stupid anyway. I also have a remote
reservoir. I put mine under the driver seat. I used the m35 window washer bottle. holds a gallon. just lift the seat and look at level.

md

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks