• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton mf power steering pump on m35a2

yorkgulch2

Does the 5 ton mf power steering pump mount on the front plate of the m35a2 fuel pump/density compensator?
Would it produce enough pressure to lift a snow plow?

yorkgulch2

I got the idea from 55Cameo who replied to my long running snowplow post. I sent a price query to Boyce and Memphis to see what a pump goes for. Can't seem to bring one up on a google search.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need a complete pump or two. If at all reasonable i'll buy. Please PM.
thanks,
Jim

devilman96

It’s a series 14 design... more specifically a Vickers VTM28-XX-XX-XX-XXX... These are not all the same pumps as the specs swing wildly depending the application so if you’re going to go hunting the civy market for them ya better do your reading first on deciphering the spec tags... If not you will be buying the wrong thing over and over and whatever you do... DO NOT BUY ONE WITH OUT THE SPEC TAG unless you know how to mic the pump out to determine what it is as no shop will do this for you and you end up with a 12 lb paper weight!

They all have relief valves in them... but the setting vary from 250lbs to 3500lbs...

There are several similar looking pumps to the 28, for example VTM42 and 27... They will bolt up, but they will not take the RPM and weight from the LDT's gear drive. These pumps look identical on the outside so again... Do not buy a pump without a spec tag on it!!!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But are all the 5 tons pumps the same? If it came from a 5 ton is it the correct one? Have no clue on this. (still need one though). :roll:

devilman96

Not really... Gearhard had a posting once about this... He had 3 diffrent spec pumps all from 5 tons, all from the military his trhead was more towards asking Vickers to help Id them and or getting parts for them but I noticed the specs on them were all diffrent... I think M35 Tom has been through this also with a few of his diffrent PD conversions.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checked my remaining stock of 5ton MF PS pumps: stamped differently but all 3 are the same code! It would be interesting to see what other versions are out there...

According to Vickers/Eaton confusing info and specs (attached pdf-file) and after doing some corrections (!!) the stamped numbers would make some sense... See attached pics and chart.

Gerhard

Attachments

Last edited:

yorkgulch2

Thanks Gerhard it looks like the pump should have plenty of volume and pressure.
I am getting the power steering pump. Based on your above info I should be able to run the plow, a small winch, and the hydraulic beer can crusher I have always wanted.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say ANY.....! :)
Well, depending of course on what type and size of gear you have. Also, length of pitman arm and tire size.

FYR, at least in two cases the Ross HF54 worked well with a pump according to the code# mentioned above (5GPM, 1500psi).
I also know that SS-member Baxter (who might chime in here...?) just finished his conversion using the same box but driven by a pump# VTM27604510MFL1122S4 (6 GPM and (only) 1000psi. Apparently very good results, too!

Wish I knew more about when was used what pump version for the MF 5tons...:roll:

G.

glj

Banned
Pump and Gear

Hello, already,

Hope you all are fine. I'm not. I think I'm stupid. I'm new to this business but I have an m35a2 that I would like to convert to hydraulic steering. This forum is probably the finest out there, but there are a few fine points that I am missing. I am writing on this thread but I have read others, and probably because I tend to be a tad frantic when trying to assimilate information I know the information is there, but there seems to be some contradiction and or disagreement on certain points

I have access to a rebuilt Ross HF542996. There seems to be a consensus that this is a good gear to go with. I think Gringeltaube commented that it was for medium sized trucks, and I inferred that it therefore would not be good for the m35a2. But because the appreciated Gringeltaube proceeded to discuss this as a seemingly viable gear, I infer that maybe the m35a2 is a medium truck. And I believe that Gringeltaube has used this gear himself.

So, OK, I think I will be fine with the Ross HF542996. But now we come to the pump. I've read that the correct pump is the "VTM276004510MFL1122S4" (I think the last "2" is one too many "2's" and should be deleted), but I've also read that the VTM42504515MFL114S4 is yet another pump that is included in the inventory of factory m35a2's. Next, I've read that only the VTM28 should be used, and specifically "not" the VTM27 or the VTM42, for the reasons that will be seen in the thread (which you all know about, because you are pros).

I can get any of the above pumps, but I am shaking in my boots, not knowing which to acquire. Maybe it isn't really that important? A VTM27, VTM28, VTM42, any one of them? But there does seem to be some disagreement. 5 gal, 6 gal, 1000psi, 1500psi, all seem to be acceptable.

Would Gringeltaube or someone else tell me where to to (not to ****, I've already been there and didn't like it). That is, just tell me what your best judgement is and I will do it (more correctly, my mechanic will do it; I'm just trying to find the parts). If it doesn't work I won't be upset with anything or anyone. Life and everything we do in life is an experiment. I'm OK with that.

I've written the above only because there does seem to be some different ways of looking at things in the various threads, with respect to which part numbers to use. I bet I know who will respond to this first.

Respectfully,

Gary L. Jones

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks