• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton mf power steering pump on m35a2

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with Tom.

Gary, I can understand why you and maybe others are confused ....
Hydraulic assisted steering conversion: a lot had to be learned by trial and error and it sure has taken a long way for some of us to get to where we are standing now, regarding complete and accurate info!

Special thanks to Matt (Kochevnik) who has done a lot of research and finally came up with a very good source for info and specs about the most popular steering gears, rams and pumps and their applications. (courtesy of Texas Power Steering Rebuilders, PDF file)
Take a look here:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15916-power-steering-deuce-3.html, post#30

According to their brochure the HF54 takes min. 3.2GPM and max. 6.0GPM of flow at max. 1500psi. All the pumps I've seen out of 5ton MF are within this range and most were set to 1500psi relief pressure.
The problem I see with any other (civy?) pumps of similar characteristics is if they would fit to the housing (mounting flange) and gear. Both parts are specific to the MF engine and absolutely necessary to make any of all pump options work!
IMO the best would be finding a good complete take-out pump from any of the 5ton MF versions. Look for the stamped code and use the above posted Vickers Pump de-codification chart to determine what the specs are. Or just send me the code.

G.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

I'm swapping an LDS engine into Mah Deuce and I've been trying to find specs for the 5-ton PS pumps. My new engine is still sealed in the crate, so I can't check the numbers to see which model I have, but is it safe to assume that they're all putting out somewhere between 5-6gpm and 100-1500psi? Just doing some research so I'll be ready to switch the steering over to full-hydro after I finish the engine-swap.

Oh, and is the 5-ton PS pump a positive-displacement pump?

Unforgiven

G.,

I found it. Please disregard the previous post on the Gringletaube power steering thread.

Will the 5 ton pump bolt directly up to the Deuce multifuel? No extra shafts, cogs, sprockets, or unknown components that are technically not "part" of the pump, but are still necessary?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, disregard.... after searching and posting the A. to your Q., I found out you had already deleted your's.........:)

Now to respond to your last one.... YES, it's a direct bolt-on BUT..... just in case read this post...

Seems every rule has its exception....!

G.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

G.,

I don't know if you remember SpicerGear's HydroMax thread. I know that he modified a regular PS pump with certain parts from the HydroMax pump.

The HydroMax system itself is rated at 2100 psi. But that's the brake fluid pressure. Does that mean the hydraulic pump has to also be capable of delivering that pressure?

Sorry, I know I should be asking Spicergear about that. But you seem to know quite a bit about these 5 ton PS pumps. What 5 ton PS model would you suggest to run a HydroMax booster?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that he modified a regular PS pump with certain parts from the HydroMax pump.
That wasn't a typical MF pump; IIRC he has a Cat engine with a Chevy PS pump...?

The HydroMax system itself is rated at 2100 psi. But that's the brake fluid pressure. Does that mean the hydraulic pump has to also be capable of delivering that pressure?

Not at all.
This is straight from the Bosch Hydro-Max TM, page 15:

Booster Fluid Source
The booster is designed to perform in a flow range of 3.2 to 5.0 gpm. Flow rate through the booster can impact vehicle stopping distance; therefore, the vehicle manufacturer must determine the required minimum flow rate. Flow rates below 3.2 gpm can cause slower response times when the booster is applied. Flow rates higher than 5.0 gpm may contribute to the booster self-applying, which will cause brake drag or fluid overheating.
The fluid power source must be capable of supplying 1,000 psi to the booster plus any additional pressure required by other devices in the system such as a power steering gear.

What 5 ton PS model would you suggest to run a HydroMax booster?
Any, according to specs shown above...

G.

blackrock

ok just got my 5ton pump in and i did some converting of the numbers and im a little confused.

VT M 42 40 55 20
ME R 1 14 S4

4- Capacity = "40" which is 4.0 US GPM
5- Controlled FLow = "55" which is 5.5 US GPM
6- Relief Valve Setting = "20" which is 2000psi
8- Pump rotation = "R" Clockwise

how can the controlled flow be higher than the capacity? and how can the pump rotation be opposite than yours?

thanks kyle

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure that pump came from- or is for- a 5ton Multifuel engine?
If you look up the Vickers/Eaton catalog (attached, again) you will find there are X- many other variants and applications as well, just for the VTM42 series.

Anyways, I suspect that the rated "capacity" (= 4.0GPM) stays in concordance with the max. output pressure or relief valve setting (= 2000PSI) as well as max. rpm for a given application (????), while the "controlled flow" is tested for all pumps at 1500RPM @ 100PSI. That would possibly explain the higher number, but needs to be confirmed...
Depending on your intended application this pump may have to be retrofitted with a different control valve, for a lower setting. For that matter I would contact these folks in Texas: www.srtp.us
So far I have never seen a 5ton MF PS-pump set higher than 1500PSI.

As for correct rotation that is easy: to convert from "R" to "L" just flip around the ring part# 15, shown in my diagram below. Be careful that the vanes don't fall out of the rotor when the ring is lifted up.

G.

Attachments

blackrock

Are you sure that pump came from- or is for- a 5ton Multifuel engine?
If you look up the Vickers/Eaton catalog (attached, again) you will find there are X- many other variants and applications as well, just for the VTM42 series.

Anyways, I suspect that the rated "capacity" (= 4.0GPM) stays in concordance with the max. output pressure or relief valve setting (= 2000PSI) as well as max. rpm for a given application (????), while the "controlled flow" is tested for all pumps at 1500RPM @ 100PSI. That would possibly explain the higher number, but needs to be confirmed...
Depending on your intended application this pump may have to be retrofitted with a different control valve, for a lower setting. For that matter I would contact these folks in Texas: www.srtp.us
So far I have never seen a 5ton MF PS-pump set higher than 1500PSI.

As for correct rotation that is easy: to convert from "R" to "L" just flip around the ring part# 15, shown in my diagram below. Be careful that the vanes don't fall out of the rotor when the ring is lifted up.

G.
Im under the assumption it is. I bought the pump from Ken Kublos who owns Kulbos surplus. He said it was still on the truck when he pulled it off. I will take a pic of it when i get home.

I plan on using this pump for a full hydro steering conversion on my truck. I don't understand why would this pump be set up to run backwards? How can i assure it is still setup to run backwards?

So what info should i provide PSC when calling to order my steering kit? 2000psi and 4.0gpm thanks kyle

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................. How can i assure it is still setup to run backwards? ..........................
Put it to work......:p

..... or disassemble and compare with the pics below:
  • Left side shows the ring in (correct) "L" position. That is, pump rotates CCW viewed from shaft end, as it would run in ANY Multifuel engine.
  • Right side is what you should find, according to the stamped code.
G.

Attachments

blackrock

I paid $300 for this pump. seen them around $250.

Just got off phone with guy from PSC. He said psi is to high need to fig out a way to lower it to 1750psi.