• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce lockout hubs

snakeater

I am looking for way to make the bobbed deuce drive and handle a little better. Obviously power steering is going to help more than anything, but do lockout hubs in the front help any? I am in the process of acquiring the parts for the power steering conversion for my truck, but want to know basically if the 600.00 pricetag for the lockout hubs was worth it. Anyone got any for sale cheaper than ouverson? Snakeater

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They work pretty good. I think you will be driving a few years before you save that much in fuel. Can't put a price tag on the reduced wear from stuff not turning. I'd like a pr but can't justify the bucks!

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me and my buddy are running Ouverson's and can tell a difference in the handling. We are not checking fuel mileage since we only drive up and down the mountain occasionally. I plan on having several trucks with lock outs in the near future. Or when my ship comes in.

snakeater

I am more interested in on road handling than offroad. My bobbed duece handles great offroad!!! Pics will follow, but we put some stank on it today in the pastures of my buddies house. i would just like a little less resistance when turning on pavement. That is the goal of it all for me, that and reduced wear and tear is always a plus. Snakeater

jimm1009

If you have not done your front wheel bearings yet and the roads are reasonably clean where you live, you could do this. I would immediately clean the bearings and repack them and do the front brake checks / cleaning / adjustments while you are in there if you choose to try this.
Take off your front drive hubs and drive it around for a while (10 to 50 miles).
I took mine off and drove the truck the 220 miles home and it really makes a difference.
Once it arrived at it's new home, I put the hubs back on and then I did the front wheels bearings, etc. before taking it out on the road again.
It was a good thing too since one wheel cylinder was coating my shoes with DOT-5 but I digress.
If you are ready the weather is cooperating, try this if you have time.
I also took the drive shaft off between the two rear axles to simulate the front being disconnected. It's still a Deuce and it still does not have power steering and it still has 9:00 x 20 NDCC tires but it sure did steer easier but each owner /driver is different so you will have to decide for yourself.
It's a cheap experiment.
Think O.D. Green and welcome to the site.
They are like Ruffles With Ridges, you can't have just one!

Jim

JohnnyReb

I have selectros on mine and can tell the difference when I forget to unlock when getting back on the pavement. Won't notice alot of difference at highway speed but a noticeable difference when making tight turns at slow speeds.

Since I run my trucks loaded, every little bit helps...

USMC6062

I would buy the Ouversons if your gonna buy some. There was a write up on here comparing them to the AVM's and the Ouversons were obviously built better. Plus they're both the same price and Ouversons are American made, and AVM's are made in Brazil. Did you get your wheels to finally seal up?

snakeater

everything sealed up fine.....after much to-do. Figured out what we were doing wrong after talking to you. Guys my truck is a bobbed deuce, I only have one rear axle. We had a blast with it friday out in the pastures. Jst need it to have a little better onroad manners. Snakeater

JohnnyReb

everything sealed up fine.....after much to-do. Figured out what we were doing wrong after talking to you. Guys my truck is a bobbed deuce, I only have one rear axle. We had a blast with it friday out in the pastures. Jst need it to have a little better onroad manners. Snakeater
Yep, that rear lockout would limit your mobility.........

snakeater

anyone interested in trading a detroit locker for a set of lockout hubs? I have a line on a pair of them and only need one. I plan to weld up my front diff, if I had lockout hubs on it. Let me know. I need to get something going

dabtl

I would buy the Ouversons if your gonna buy some. There was a write up on here comparing them to the AVM's and the Ouversons were obviously built better. Plus they're both the same price and Ouversons are American made, and AVM's are made in Brazil. Did you get your wheels to finally seal up?
While I do not want to restart the debate over whose lock out hubs are 'better' than another, I think it fair to point out that in all the posts here about the lock out hubs the only reports of failures involved the Ouverson. The first was by sermis, whose hub was destroyed by a highway barrier and cannot be a 'failure' and the second was by Junglemist who did report an Ouverson hub failure.

Other than those two reports, and Junglemist has not indicated the cause of his failure to date, no other reported failures have occurred.

I have the AVM on my truck and they work just fine.

So, from the reports of the users, it would be difficult to claim the Ouverson is better.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of brand new Ouversons I will sell/ship for $585.00. They are direct from OEM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks