• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce lockout hubs

det45

if you have the $ put them on the forward rear tandum as well. helps lower the turning radius and save tires.
Wouldn't putting a lockout on the rear rear axle give a better turning radius than putting them on the forward rear axle, or am I overlooking something?

jesusgatos

if you have the $ put them on the forward rear tandum as well. helps lower the turning radius and save tires.
OEM will sell you just one double-splined axleshaft and one lockout to use on a rear axle.

While I do not want to restart the debate over whose lock out hubs are 'better' than another, I think it fair to point out that in all the posts here about the lock out hubs the only reports of failures involved the Ouverson. The first was by sermis, whose hub was destroyed by a highway barrier and cannot be a 'failure' and the second was by Junglemist who did report an Ouverson hub failure.

Other than those two reports, and Junglemist has not indicated the cause of his failure to date, no other reported failures have occurred.

I have the AVM on my truck and they work just fine.

So, from the reports of the users, it would be difficult to claim the Ouverson is better.
Better is better. In this case either might product be good enough, but the OEM lockout sure looks like a better-made product. For the same price? Obvious choice if you ask me...

dabtl

Actually, I think the term design is what you mean. I doubt either shows signs of poor quality manufacturing.

And, sometimes the more complex the design the more problem areas are found.

Just thinking out loud. I have to say the only failure of either design appears to be a minor matter.

Junglemist

While I do not want to restart the debate over whose lock out hubs are 'better' than another, I think it fair to point out that in all the posts here about the lock out hubs the only reports of failures involved the Ouverson. The first was by sermis, whose hub was destroyed by a highway barrier and cannot be a 'failure' and the second was by Junglemist who did report an Ouverson hub failure.

Other than those two reports, and Junglemist has not indicated the cause of his failure to date, no other reported failures have occurred.

I have the AVM on my truck and they work just fine.

So, from the reports of the users, it would be difficult to claim the Ouverson is better.
I spoke with Randy Ouverson this morning and I will be posting photos of the fix. The spring that stops the hub when it is at "Lock" has apparently been clogged by grease. Randy said that he thought this is the 3rd time this issue has been reported. He said that currently the hubs have a longer spring to prevent this.

GoHot229

lock-out's

I have a set of brand new Ouversons I will sell/ship for $585.00. They are direct from OEM.
It would seem that the prices are WAY too high, with the economy and all tanking.When these suppliers decide that they ane not going to get double and 20% over cost, then I will buy, untill then mabe they will find a recipe for them simmilar to 'ROCK SOUP'

dabtl

I used to be in the TV business, building them. It cost about $75 to make an RCA 23 inch cabinet model. It sold for several hundred dollars, like $600 or so as I recall.

Building costs are not necessarily the costs of final sale and delivery.

Ouverson and jatonka put their money on the line, got the inventory, sit on it until it sells and warranty the parts.

And, they hope to make a profit on the sale.

I bet I can buy Ouverson or AVM lockout much cheaper than they are being sold here. I probably have to buy a couple of hundred to get that price, perhaps five hundred or a thousand.

I just do not need that many at this time. So, it is OK with me to buy the number I need, forgo the hassles and pay a reasonable amount. You too should be happy to have that convenience.

jesusgatos

It would seem that the prices are WAY too high, with the economy and all tanking.When these suppliers decide that they ane not going to get double and 20% over cost, then I will buy, untill then mabe they will find a recipe for them simmilar to 'ROCK SOUP'
Do you think that companies are able to LOWER their costs to produce products in this economy? Take a look at OEM's website. A lot of their products are actually under-priced, compared to the competition (but there isn't any, so you'll have to look at comparable products for other axles, like the D60). Profit margins are not what you must think on products like these.