• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ISSPRO Turbocator Pyro / Boost Gauge

JDToumanian

I have a feeling that you'll soon move the gauge to a location where it's easier to read while driving....
You were right Bjorn!

I purchased a 3" gauge mounting cup from ISSPRO, model R7603, and moved my Turbocator gauge from under the dash to on the steering column. The gauge cup base has slots to mount it using a hose clamp, so installation was simple.

Here's a few pics of the new installation. Much better!!!

Jon

Attachments

smoothop

Nice gauge and install, but did you give any thought to the westach dual pyro/boost gauges? They seem to have the same colored pointers as the rest of your instrumentation.

In my diesel Jeep I ended getting the older version of your gauge (side by side instrumentation with chrome bezel) I have been doing research on trying to find a single gauge or a pair of gauges for 3 weeks now and these pictures help out a lot!

Thanks for the pictures again and that gauge does look pretty sweet.

Attachments

JDToumanian

This past weekend, my thermocouple failed (I'm assuming).... I was driving 55 on the freeway up a long gentle grade, keeping the EGT just below 1200 when the needle on my Turbocator gauge slowly began to drop to zero. It doesn't work at all now.

I realize that the thermocouple probes operate in an extreme environment and can not be expected to last forever, but the actual mileage I've put on my deuce since installation of this gauge is really only 3-or-4 thousand.... I thought it would last considerably longer than this.

Anyone have knowledge of thermocouple longevity?

Jon

adamax

thermocouple's should last hundreds of thousands of miles. check the connections if there good i would suspect a defective thermocouple or possible gauge.

JDToumanian

Well it's not the wiring.... My next step is to get another thermocouple and try that. I haven't pulled the old one out yet, maybe damage will be obvious.

My fuel is turned up so high I don't like driving the deuce at all without the pyro. When I get the gauge working again I'm going to bypass my FDC and turn the fuel down to a reasonable level.

s1036s

Well it's not the wiring.... My next step is to get another thermocouple and try that. I haven't pulled the old one out yet, maybe damage will be obvious.

My fuel is turned up so high I don't like driving the deuce at all without the pyro. When I get the gauge working again I'm going to bypass my FDC and turn the fuel down to a reasonable level.
Hopefully a chunk of piston isnt responsible for taking out your thermocouple....

JDToumanian

Hopefully a chunk of piston isnt responsible for taking out your thermocouple....
Well, that one had me worried, but I'm happy to report that the thermocouple didn't fail after all. I finally got a chance to take a look today, and discovered that the thermocouple had come out of the compression fitting holding it into the manifold, and that was responsible not only for the pyro ceasing to function but also the worrisome tick (exhaust leak) that the engine had developed. I should have known! Easy $0 fix and all is well.

Jon

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like I ought to get one for the deuce and one for the turbo diesel M37 I am building. did you get the weld bushing from them also? Was the 10 foot kit long enough? Thanks

JDToumanian

I did not use a weld bushing, I just drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold directly.... It's like 1/4" thick where I drilled it.

Yes the 10' kit is plenty long... [thumbzup]

Jon

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is a great thread! I appreciate the info. I will be checking into both the Westach and Isspro gauges, but your installation details are a real help. Good luck finding your technical problem.

Kaiserjeeps

I did this same thing a while back. Call ISSPRO direct and ask for DON.
He is a great help and will sell you what you need. No need to order from somewhere else. Don even crimped a black bezel (later turned green) on a guage that came with a chrome bezel. That's CUSTOMer service! I did a thread that mirrors this one. Maybe it was over on the Zone.:p

Anyway, install two probes and put a switch in the back of your gauge cup. I ran this by Don at ISSPRO and he had done this on another rig and recommended it. I have about a 150-200 degree difference front to back.
Get a quality switch and it will read accurate. A great solution for a single gauge head.

JDToumanian

Great idea! ....If they were willing to customize, I wonder if they would have put white pointers in the gauge? The orange is the only thing I don't like....

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks