• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

needed: detailed pics of convoy light installation

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone who has convoy lights installed on their deuce please post detailed pics of the installation, including closeups? I am ready to install my kit, but I do not have the instructions for the install. Thanks.

dabtl

John Murray has instructions for the install in digital form. Frankly, I do not like them. They came from the manufacturer.

I have mine installed and can take some pics. My largest mistake was not pulling the coiled wires up with a lead wire. I tried inserting them from the top. Mistake corrected.

I did most of mine just by looking at the parts and thinking. Putting the rotating lights together is both simple and confusing. The wing nuts are at the bottom of the metal base plate, attach the coiled wires to the lights before putting on the metal base plate. There are some spacers to separate the rotating lights from the metal base. Simple enough, really.

The curled wiring is very simple. There is a ground wire on each that attaches to the cab or frame on either side. The positive wires plug in to the second lead on the curled wire. Run the power wire around under the cab to find a power source, I used the horn wire and a dual socket adapter, with the other wires going into the cab and the on/off switch.

It is cloudy here and looking to rain, again, so I may not get the pics until tomorrow or Monday if it keeps raining.

Last edited:
Lights!

This seems to be a common question. Even from me. I got Deuce convoy lights also. I found some diagrams from sailor2000 that helped a bit. If I get any spare time I'll have to clean up the material I have and make a "Deuce convoy lights: How to" document. I'll gladly swipe ( Uhm - uh ) make use of any pictures supplied by a fellow member of SS.

Gee spare time, what a concept!

Bob

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pics are EXTREMELY small and I can't make anything out. Any way you can increase the size of the pics to make them legible?

dabtl

Here are some pics of how the assembled lights look.

I found the light mounting on the base plate the most confusing. The plastic spacer under the light base gives room for the curled wire connection.

As you work with it, it becomes more clear what part fits where. The instructions are just so unclear about most of it. But, I suppose they are better than none.

Attachments

dabtl

I drove back from the Medal of Honor Weekend in Gainesville, Texas, last month with them on.

Unless you have been on rural I-35 you cannot imagine the need for warning lights on a vehicle traveling 54/55 mph.:roll:

jmh4x4

I''ve been thinking about getting a set for exactly what dabtl said. Kinda makes me nervous to ever take my truck onto a MD suburban road or interstate with out some sort of warning device. The slow lanes run at 65mph, and god forbid if you get in someones way. a good set of how to instructions would be great

nklpltd

I can see your point... I've driven down I-15 in near Salt Lake, Utah and it would have been nice to have something. 109 vans don't really book that well down the freeway compared to normal traffic.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are right - it's pretty self explanatory once you play with it yourself. After looking at the pics, and reading over the instructions, it just fell together. Easier than I thought it would be.

One thing I did notice, though, is that with the poles installed, the soft top has a hard time staying wrapped over the cab gunnels. VERY tight, I might have to make a mod in due time and see if I can space the pole maybe 1/2-inch away from the cab to allow the soft top room to seat correctly.

DieselBob

I had a machinist I know make these spacers to place between the light poles and the cab mount. Moves the pole away from the cab ~ 1/4”. With all the rain I haven't had time to try them yet.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks