• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

needed: detailed pics of convoy light installation

Hey,
If any of you guys stumble across a spare twisty switch to go with the convoy lights let me know. I have the switch plate and the knob... No switch. (Bummer) I'm putting in a toggle switch for now but it seems a shame to not to use the right switch to go with that switch plate and knob.

Bob

P.S.
I like the spacers, they are much better than the idea I had. I was considering using the backs of some rather large tail pipe clamps but I had an attack of apathy and just mounted the poles normally.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your buddy with the machine shop doesn't want to make a bunch up, let me know. If you give me all the measurements of that part, I can have 50-100 or so made up within a couple weeks.

CGarbee

Hey,
If any of you guys stumble across a spare twisty switch to go with the convoy lights let me know. I have the switch plate and the knob... No switch. (Bummer) I'm putting in a toggle switch for now but it seems a shame to not to use the right switch to go with that switch plate and knob.
It's the same as an ignition switch so, hopefully, finding a good used one want be that hard for you. The "usual suspects" also have then new in stock.

Don't forget that the "by the book" instalation pulls power from the dimmer switch so that you can't turn them on without having the service lights on.

I use mine when convoying, when towing a non-running vehicle, when pulling out of my driveway, and when traveling at speeds 15 or more MPH slower than other vehicles...

Boatcarpenter

I think someone should test the prototype before making up lots of them. Remember, the poles are set into a slightly concave mount and if you put a flat spacer across there even 1/4 "you will be moving them out approx. 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch. Bumping them out that much you will only be able to thread the nut on only about half way. A test run would be a good thing.:-D
I spaced mine out with two 1/4 inch thicknesses of rubber that fit the contour of the concave slot about halfway between the upper and lower u-bolt and I still only could thread the nut on about 2/3 of the way.
BC

YankeeDuece

One thing I did notice, though, is that with the poles installed, the soft top has a hard time staying wrapped over the cab gunnels. VERY tight, I might have to make a mod in due time and see if I can space the pole maybe 1/2-inch away from the cab to allow the soft top room to seat correctly.[/quote]

One of my deuces came with convoy lights. It had a vinyl top and and piece of canvas stuck between the cab and light pole.

DieselBob

The guy that made mine said he would make more but it would be $65.00 + shipping for a set of 4. That is his price and I don't make a penny on it. I test fit one side on my cab and there is just the slightest compression of the rubber cord that fastens the bottom of the cab cover. I used the 2 mounting locations in the middle of the cab bracket sense the cab cover is covering the upper mounting holes and trying to use them just bunched the cover where it went over the "U" bolt.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks