• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extensive M108 repairs, part 2

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the thread on the first time around.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/33686-extensive-m108-repairs.html?highlight=m108+repairs

So, after finding out the gasser engine had a bad rear seal, and a bad head gasket, I moved up the timeline on installing a Multifuel.

So truck is getting fenders, grille, hood, body tub, windshield, transmission, battery/toolbox, transfer case, motor, and doors installed. Most of the parts is coming from a parts truck I had.

Stripped out the parts truck the other day. Today we took off the cab, engine, transmission, and transfer case, toolbox, and battery box out of the M108. Used the crane to pull the body tub. Dear friend Dan missed a clamp holding the battery cable to the cab, and we had a nice spark when the cab was lifted. Burnt the main battery cable in half.:!:

Pressure washed the frame while everything was off. Would like to blast and paint, but short on time and money.

Video(with sparks) to be posted later. Here's some pics of the progress.

Here's the video! You can even watch it in high def.

Had to stop for the sparks, then transmission bumped in neutral, then had to clear stuff off the bed to rotate. Finally got it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Joby7wnsUE

Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess a wrecker is the only MV that can disassemble itself.

Are you begining to wonder if it would have been easier to swap the bed onto another truck?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ty, he thought about it, but the chassis and suspension is way different. It would have been easier, but not as good.

Numbers

Keep up the good work. Anxiously awaiting the video presentation. Should I get my popcorn now or wait until tomorrow ?

:popcorn:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seriously considered swaping the bed. But, axles and springs would have to be swapped, then frame would need reinforced, and vin on the frame would not match. So doing it the hard way.

Video is up(see first post)

Gasser and all parts, including body parts, is being stored. Maybe the next owner will want to make it a restored gasser, so I am keeping it all.

Dennis

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to get rid of the motor and can get it to the GA rally I would take it. (need a gas radiator too).;-)

Numbers

You are the man. Sure would have liked to hear the choise words exchanged when sparks flew. Did you intentionally edit sound out ? :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jim, I may have some gasser stuff come up here before long. Better yet, look for a PM regarding same. Dennis, looks like you are speeding right by me! My cab change plans are similar to yours. Looks good!

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still plugging away! Got all the air/fuel lines rerouted for the multifuel.

What an adventure putting the engine in. I knew I was in trouble when the tractor struggled to pick up the gasser motor with transmission. Went to pick up the other parts motor to get the motor mounts off it, and the tractor bent both loader cylinder rods when I was setting it down. Managed to straighten them, and moved the cylinders to a better mounting point. When I went to put the new engine in the truck, it bent one of them again. Took us an hour to build cribbing under the motor, it wouldn't lower to the ground with the bent cylinder rod.

So now I had a 1800lb motor, and no way to move it. Till I looked at the boom/manlift...LOL.. Hooked the motor to the boom on that bad boy, and it didn't even grunt picking it up. Boom is rated at 500lbs at 46 feet, I hooked up at 14 feet to pick up the motor. Worked like a charm, and the engine lined up perfectly on the crossmember and mounts I installed.

Have a couple of video's, one of driving down the road, sounds mean as heck. Another idleing and one reving the new motor. Couple of pics too.

Truck is getting pretty close, hardtop needs installed, front bumper replaced, and glass installed in the windsheild. Got the hood, fenders, doors, and grill on today.

Link to videos

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMuvltBG9d4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzCER8mxdI[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juln6EGjPj8[/media]

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loud as HECK!

Power wise, it has more power, but only after I turned the fuel up some. Injector pump was from a non-turbo engine. Think I could crank it some more, very little smoke right now. Going to wait till I have a pyro on it. Gasser engine would whip the multi at a stock fuel setting.

I like it.... but wish the gasser would have lasted a year or so. But am glad I did it. Now everything from the cab forward is the same in both trucks, lot of rusty stuff is gone, and the frame is pretty clean. Plus it's a lot cheaper to operate.

Went and ordered lic plates the other day, after tomorrow it should be road-ready, for any length of a trip.

scooter01922

Holy crap, when you said you bent the cyl rod i thought a little tweak not like that:shock:. I have been thinkin my deuce is a little slow and your vid confirms that. Your 20 K lb 108 gets up and going much quicker than my truck when its empty. Lookin really good man, keep up the great work.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds fast... but I'm only doing 45mph at the end. Once you hit 4th gear, it takes a while, just barely got it in 5th on that drive.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy crap, when you said you bent the cyl rod i thought a little tweak not like that:shock:.
:ditto:

I belive it's time to get some bigger cylinders. I tried to pick up a multi with trans attached with my MF40 backhoe. It's rated at 3,000lbs lift but it wouldn't budge it. It just stalled. Either the engine/trans combo weighs more than I think or the pump or the relief valve is weak

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm . . . I guess I better be more careful with the little JD. I assumed the hydraulics would stall before stuff started bending. :shock:

The rating for this model is 1500 lbs. (mfgs operating load) and 2000 lbs. (hydraulic lift capacity)

Remember this gimp, Stan ??

Attachments

scooter01922

Hmmm . . . I guess I better be more careful with the little JD. I assumed the hydraulics would stall before stuff started bending. :shock:
Thats the thing, the hyd relief valve should open or the motor should stall before you manage that kind of carnage. Or in your case the little sucker should tip right over...Gotta love bobcats.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a relief valve problem... it's replacement cylinder problem. Tractor came with those cylinders, which were replaced at some point. Going to try and find a stock set of cylinders from a tractor junkyard nearby... or replace the rods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks