• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extensive M108 repairs, part 2

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coming along very nicely, Dennis! Love to see that doing recoveries at Haspin this year. I heard gimpy isn't bringing the wrecker this time, so we need a replacement!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm.. didn't hear about the wrecker no show...

Truck is together, finished the hardtop and a couple little things. Also installed one of the tank dome lights, I love it. Low light is perfect for driving, and the high light is nice and bright.

Went on a 40 mile drive tonight. Engine clatters a lot louder than my other truck. I had set the timing for non-turbo, figured advancing it might help on the power side. Going to back the timing off to the turbo setting, see if it's quieter.

Need to switch around some tires, and power wash it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got pics? That was record time Dennis! Sucks that mine is going on 3 yrs and still looks the same!

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Wow very cool Stretch...Thats some fast progress! Much faster than our engine swap! :p

That man lift sure comes in handy!

What you need is a Crawler Loader! :p It handled this with ease and is nice and stable.

Good luck doing the finishing touches. It looks great.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got the timing adjusted, and 20 mile drive. It's much quieter, other than the loud exhaust. Still a little clatter, but not bad. Also found and fixed a couple oil leaks.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some finished for now pics. Looks a lot different! And runs a lot different. Took about 15 miles, and then it was warmed up enough to hold 50-55mph. That was with the 6000lb trailer behind it. Sounds real good, no problems there or on the way back, put about 140 miles on the truck. Truck ran really well on the way home.

I don't think I'll ever drive a MV to Aberdeen. A little too far for me.

Okay Kenny, your turn! Lets see some M108 repair action!

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent report Dennis. Now lets hope Gimpy makes it home safe in the 1/2 goosechase truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks