• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a deuce into a trailer???

Sephirothq

Ok, it's 12:20, it's late, I have had a long day and I just got a crazy idea.

Don't know how crazy it is so i will run it by you guys.

Say you had a duece with no front axle, springs, or drive line. But still had both back axles, bed, frame, suspension, brake system ( minus front axle), air tanks, lights wiring, etc.

Could you turn it into a trailer???

I have seen the trailers made out of old pickup trucks, I owe one.
So why not a duece?? You would have brakes, lights, suspension, just need a cut in the frame rails and a front tow plate. Probably a pintle hook. the brake system could be hooked up to give service brakes with air.

I think it should be possible.

And i might be crazy enough to try it....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend in TN that took the back half of an M211 and made a trailer from it. Instead of a cargo box he put an M109 body on it and it's now his travel trailer. He did it up for low $$$ and it works pretty darned good.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
MY input would be to replace the drive axles with 105 trailer axles.
Due to the number of 105's being chopped up to make bob deuces you should be able to find them cheap.
They should fit the deuce walking beam suspension easily and they have the same brake lines as drive axles......this would save a lot of weight and you can run duals or single tires.

You would need a heavy lunette off of a big trailer to support the tongue weight.

A roll up/down landing gear salvaged from another trailer would be a necessary item to raise and lower it for hookup.

Not a bad idea if you have the parts available or can get them for a reasonable price.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a frame that I thought about doing this to. I've sold the axles so I had the same idea wreckerman had about using M105 axles. The only reason I haven't done it is that I really couldn't figure what I'd need it for. After seeing Kenny's post it gives me some ideas :-D.

Sevo

Its funny this post was brought up. I am working on my 109 trailer conversion now. Me ,Ferro and Neil are all working on this same conversion. I have been working on my 109 this weekend breaking it down from cab forward. I will be posting pics of the progress.

I wil be putting the front end of a 105 trailer on the front to tow it around with the deuce. Going to gut the 2 axels as mentioned to make less resistance. Dont want to mess with putting the 105 axles on her.

its very doable and it looks like its going to work great.

if anyone needs fenders, cab, transmission,hood or any parts in the cab let me know. The only thing I will be keeping is the engine.

Brock Steel

OK How about this Idea, 1 drain oil from axles, 2 remove shafts, 3 cut shafts at the rear of the backing plate, 4 reinstall, 5 remove drive shaft. Makes all tires spin free, no need for oil nothing spinning in axles, No more axle leaks, 200+ pounds removed.:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen several of these done. A few of the folks removed the entire center chunk and shafts from it. FWIW the old style M105 had an 8 bolt dust cover that would bolt to a deuce hub and would loook very professional. I have a pair of them but not 4, sorry.

gunboy1656

MAn, you people are in my head....get out.

I have seen the cargo trailers before and had wondered if it was feasable to make one out of a shop van, guess now I got that answer, thanks for the pic.

Now i just have to figure out do I make a trailer out of a cargo truck and tow behind a shop van, or tow a shop van behind a cargo truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott, in rally and show thought, I'd make the 109 a trailer. You could get it to the show or camp, set it up and cruise your cargo. Sucks to have to break camp to go fetch milk or unstick a friend. Many possibilities with this setup!

Flea

What about just pulling the axles and putting a hub like on the front wheels instead of cutting axles, etc. That way, you could keep/sell the axle shafts for a profit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks