• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact Maintenance Trailer

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Embarked on a new project this evening. A while back I posted a thread on my M116A2 1/2. Basically I took an M116A3 genset trailer and pulled the -A3 axle out and installed an -A2 axle but put the HMMWV wheels back on. A few days back I pulled the genset body off. Tonight the big transformation took place. I removed the SECM from my Dodge M887 and put it on the 116 trailer chassis. Didn't quite go as planned though, the track of the HMMWV tires was too narrow and wouldn't clear the frame of the SECM. I ended up snatching the wheels and tires off the back of the Dodge and putting them on the trailer. I don't have any pics of the SECM on the trailer as it was after dark before it happened but here are a few of the players involved.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -A3 axle was too wide, the tires would hit the body. Lane, the welder is in there but if the tongue proves to heavy, it may get swapped out. The Dodge is going to the end of the street to sell for GA Rally money. I won't be home till late with the pics, sorry.

ABN173

interesting, what do you estimate the weight of the "cabinet" portion is? I won't mention the nausea I feel inside since I really want a M1031. I missed out on a nice one recently as right when the auction started I discovered that a family member put me in a bind so I had to shell out $$$$

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't feel too bad, it was a Dodge M887 that gave up the body. Weight? I haven't a clue. I'd have to guess #1500 or so. I put an outrigger down on the wrecker so I can't estimate the weight . I know with the welder in the front, it's tongue heavy.

Chief_919

Man o man, do you have my mind pondering doing this now. I know where a bed minus the welder sits, and I have a Lincoln welder that needs a home...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had resisted this idea for a while. I even bought an M1008 to put the bed on but in the end, I'll get more use out of a pickup and by making this a trailer, I can have both.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got home before dark and got some pics. There are 2 little spots on the SECM that I'm gonna trim and move the box back flush with the rear crossmember. Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks real handy! Might want to try to find one of those cranking jack legs for the front, and be sure to use the rear leg also! Me likey:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks