• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact Maintenance Trailer

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's doable. Last night I measured the a3 chassis with hmmwv tires and the bed. It looks like you will have to take a little metal out of the outside of the "wheel well" that is built into the body. It would be easy to make a small flare out of angle aluminum and rivet it on. The hmmwv tire measured out to only about an inch beyond the sheet metal.
It's doable without a doubt. That entire skirt above the tire is just that, a skirt. For me, height was a consideration on the original one so I went with the A2 axle and 235 tires. As it turns out, I have the same style body on a truck and I need something to stand on anyways to reach into the top areas of the side boxes. I keep one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html in the back opened up all the time. Easy to toss out and get what I need. Many days I wished I had kept the trailer but the truck actually works out better.

Since you are doing away with the welder, consider this platform. It really works out nice and slides in and out on the existing tracks.

Attachments

oddave715

If you use the A3 axle with cucv wheels then height should be the same. Then you get the extra width of the A3 axle, which I like. I feel like the A3 axles width will help with its road manners as it is a big box that sits up high.

86m1028

It's doable without a doubt. That entire skirt above the tire is just that, a skirt. For me, height was a consideration on the original one so I went with the A2 axle and 235 tires. As it turns out, I have the same style body on a truck and I need something to stand on anyways to reach into the top areas of the side boxes. I keep one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html in the back opened up all the time. Easy to toss out and get what I need. Many days I wished I had kept the trailer but the truck actually works out better.

Since you are doing away with the welder, consider this platform. It really works out nice and slides in and out on the existing tracks.

Is that an m101 rear trailer support used as the drop down leg ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use the A3 axle with cucv wheels then height should be the same. Then you get the extra width of the A3 axle, which I like. I feel like the A3 axles width will help with its road manners as it is a big box that sits up high.
I agree. I should have kept the A3 axle under my build but at the time I didn't think to run the 235s. I did put the 235s on my M101A3 and they work great. The slide out bench is great and you only have to use the leg if you are going to crank on the vise. Leg is off an M101.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are different. There is a reachable lip on the front that is easily drilled for bolting to the trailer frame. The back will need 2" of spacer to bring the body into alignment. Any center mounts I never got around to making before I sold mine.

oddave715

Do you all feel like the A1 & A2 chassis is stout enough for this bed? I am thinking pretty hard about using the A1 chassis and possibly swapping axles to an electric brake axle. If I do this I will definitely beef up the springs. If I use the A1 chassis should I beef up the frame too? I just can't justify spending the money on another A3 when I have two trailers and I really want to keep my A3 intact.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would be fine for moderate use. If you plan on loading it up pretty heavy then going off road then reconsider. The trailer is rated at 1500#. Guessing the box comes in at 600# or so.

MatthewH

Go back 2 pages and check out the pics I posted. That's an A2 frame and axle with 265/76/16 tires. I haven't had a chance to bolt it down yet, but it still has the welder and air compressor inside. One day ill have to take it to the scales and see how much it weighs

oddave715

So after looking back at Matthew's pictures and thinking back to some of the excessively large loads I have hauled in the A1, I am confident that the A1 chassis will be sufficient. An axle swap with brakes will most likely be in the future. And I am going to see how well the springs hold up to the increased load. I need to get the bed off the A1 and the bed off the 887. A1 bed will need a paint freshening before dropping the body on it. The 887 bed will need some work too. But one thing at a time. Pics to coome soon.

oddave715

Kenny, on the 887 body is there frame rails that run side to side that the bolts run through or front to rear? Trying to get my chassis ready and I want to go ahead and beef it up anywhere that may be needed. And I want to have the mount locations ready to go. I'd like to bolt it down with the 8 bolts that the m887 tm shows if possible. I am contemplating adding a front cross member and tying it into the tongue draw bars to help alleviate stressing the cast parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never made it to all 8 mounting points. I was able to drill through the front and rear crossmembers of the chassis and body and secure it that way. As mentioned, I did shim the back of the body up 2". After selling it, I towed it to GA with only the 4 bolts. The 4 inner mounts are going to have to be fabbed up I believe.

oddave715

That's what I figured would be the case. Is the bed frame, that the mounting points are on, ran front to rear? Thanks for the quick response.

Did you see my post about the tub on the other topic? I'm not going to need this tub. So if you are interested let me know and I can send you some pics.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mounting point crossmembers on the box go side to side. Then there is that long frame rail outside the box from front to rear. I'll need to modify mine as I'm doing some tire juggling on the truck it's on. I did see that the box needs a home. Pics would be cool. I just inherited this! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?85718-M101A1-Build&highlight=trailer+build

Box is gone and the transfer tank isn't included but that's just fine. I am getting the topper as well.