• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How To: Hub Flip

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice instructional presentation!!!

I don't intend to flip mine, but if I ever did I would certainly appreciate having this available to me...good work

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Outstanding. I mean, that really breaks it down. I think we could link new guys to this who had seal questions as well.

Thanks!

Ridgerunner

mike,

Nice job, I'll be doing a hub flip this week.
I would add one thing though, that would come in handy when doing the flip. It would be nice to have the proper wheel bearing torque in there as well, to make it complete.

Install inner nut while turing hub & drum to 50 foot lbs. Back off 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Install lock washer and then outer nut. Torque outer nut 100 to 150 foot lbs. Safety the nuts by bending the tabs on the lock washer.

Torque for the axle shafts and drive flanges are 90 foot lbs.

hklvette

to replace the inner seal, does one simply need to remove the inner bearing to reach it? One of my hubs is leaking, and I intend on rebuilding it, so this will be a GREAT help!

mikew

Yep!

Picture #14 shows the inner bearing on the axle tube, the seal is right behind the bearing. Just pull the bearing off the tube to get to the seal.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I didn't see you mention the safety wire. Did you put it back in when you put the drum on the hub? Not being critical, just wondering what everyone has been doing.

mikew

I didn't see you mention the safety wire.
Of the four axels that I've flipped the hubs on, only one had safety wired drum bolts. The other three had "normal" bolts, not drilled for safety wire, they had lock washers instead.

Picture #11 shows the drum bolts before disassembly, and no safety wire.

mikew

With the stock hub postion, the width measured on the flat part of the hub flange (where the wheel rim mounts) from one side to the other is 69.5"

When you flip the hubs that measurment goes to 79.5"... so it adds 5" per side, 10" total.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks