• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How To: Hub Flip

RANDYDIRT

I just pulled mine apart to flip the hubs, and found my bearings were swimming in gear oil. There was none on the brakes, and there was no leakage. Is this caused by the little cork thing in the key way?

Dirt

MO MV man

I just pulled mine apart to flip the hubs, and found my bearings were swimming in gear oil. There was none on the brakes, and there was no leakage. Is this caused by the little cork thing in the key way?

Dirt
I did mine last week and the same thing-swimming in gear lube and snot (gear lube and grease).
Only thing is, mine had migrated into and onto the drum.
What a horrendous clean-up job.
That made a simple hub flip into a 4-5 hour wrestling match. aua

My cork was hard and didn't appear to fit worth a darn in the keyway-VERY loose.
Thus the leak.

I replaced the inner and outer seals while in there as well.
Cheap insurance.

mikew

Could be the "cork thing", could be a worn outer seal, could be a clogged axle vent....

Since it's apart, it is easy to see if the "cork thing" is missing and it is also a great time to replace the seal while you're there. Seals are pretty cheap.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Awesome job on the how to. Even a person that went to the school for the mechanically decliined, like I did, can do this now.

Think I'll start by getting the axle seals and new cork seal for all the axles. Since they are fairly cheap, who has the best quality seals?

I also need to buy me that C arm thingy. Thanks for the detail on what I need to order.

Heavysteven

What about just using a pallet jack? Any thoughts?

Could you pull the axle, 3" nuts, and then slide the pallet jack. Next lift the wheels and slide it all off.

CARNC, if your doing yours let me know. I want to watch and can lend a hand.

I bought my seals from OD Iron.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A pallet jack would work just fine, but if you are flipping the hubs you'll need to wheels seperated from the hub/drum to do the job. A pallet jack, and removing the 3" axle nuts will slide the whole wheels/hub/drum off as an assembly.

As to the cork in the keyway, I think a little RTV silicone works way better than the cork. When I have mine all apart, I cleaned and degreased the keyway slot, cleaned and degreased the 3" nuts and locking washer, and wiped the inner race of the outer bearing really well. start off by sliding the inner bearing in place and cleaning any grease from the key slot again. Then the hub/drum come next, and then the outer bearing. I then squirt a little RTV into the keyslot and under the bearing race (NOT A LOT, just enough to fill the slot). Then I put the seal in place and just another dab of RTV in the keyslot. Next install the first 3" nut and tourque to spec. Then I use another little dab of RTV under the nut in the keysot, install the locking washer and the outer 3" nut. Torque it down and bend a tab of the washer over, and you're done in the grease and oil.

When I pulled them apart again this year, there was not a drop of oil in the bearings to be found. Just my 2cents

Billy Bobbed

Great info. Mike,I always wondered what all was involved.One day might have to replace brakes or seals.My axle leaked from bad vents.Now they dont leak,but I know the brakes are oil soaked now.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see you mention the safety wire. Did you put it back in when you put the drum on the hub? Not being critical, just wondering what everyone has been doing.
We did re-run the safety wires when we did our flipping.
Also drilled and safety wired the bolts on the front of the tranny when we swapped that. Not only were they lose when we pulled it from the parts truck but some were lose in the one we were taking out. Will be pulling that out again and fixing what ever is leaking in the next couple weeks :-(:roll:

Attachments

Billy Bobbed

LowTech is that a grease sert on the throwout brg.if it is can you get to it from the plate at the bottom of the bell housing.I didnt know there was one there.

Last edited:

RANDYDIRT

Ok, what about bearings? I guess one would swap the inner and outer races and bearings. They are different and you don't want to mix bearings and races. Correct?

Dirt

p.s. where is a good place to buy seals?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LowTech is that a grease sert on the throwout brg.if it is can you get to it from the plate at the bottom of the bell housing.I didnt know there was one there.
Billy Bobbed,
You can get to it from the access plate on the bottom. It only greases the shaft that the fork slides on, not the bearing (if I'm remembering that right). It should be in the lube orders.

LowTech

mikew

Ok, what about bearings? I guess one would swap the inner and outer races and bearings. They are different and you don't want to mix bearings and races. Correct?

The races, both inner and outer, are the same part number.

When I do it; if the races and bearings look good, make that perfect, I just swap the bearings.

RANDYDIRT

The races, both inner and outer, are the same part number.

When I do it; if the races and bearings look good, make that perfect, I just swap the bearings.
Thanks Mike. I have mine apart as we speak and I went ahead and swapped races. I didn't want to come back to haunt me later. It would have probably ran a million miles but something told me to keep the wear marks with the same bearings.

Dirt

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Mike, I have an M211 and went to put striker tires on it with the
6 bolt rims. The tires hit on a protrussion off the frame so I flipped the wheel and put it on. I am wondering if what I really should do is flip the hub and put the wheel back on normally. Would there be much variation in your instructions to do the M211?
Thanks,
Bruce

mikew

Randydirt: You can never go wrong keeping the bearing and race set together.

Firefox: I don't know anything about the M211, other than I'd like to have one! What makes this work on the M35 is that the brake drum and the axle shaft have the same bolt pattern. It very possible that the M211 is built the same way... I look forward to your report once you given it a try!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike. I have to find out if it is possible before I try it, but If I find out it can be done, I'll let you know what happens.
Bruce

Jimma

Thanks for the pictures and explanation. I need to do mine soon and this will make it much easier. Thanks Again