• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Filter change, spring & cup

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today the Deuce got it's first oil change (well, by me). It didn't look too bad; no other engine fluids in the oil as far as I can tell. So I'm pleased enough about that :)

(I'm not using the fancy spin on filters) On top of the oil filter there is a metal cup and spring. My question is, what is the proper orientation of this cup? Should the inner cup lip be pointing down into the center of the filter, or upward out of the filter? When I took the housing off both orientations were used. As far as I know, the last oil change was done when the Utah National Guard owned the truck. Does this function as a bypass?

I've went over the unit maintenance section about the oil filter change (TM 9-2320-361-20 page 3-12), and the cup used in the picture looks different than mine, but I *think* it's showing the inner cup lip DOWN into the filter. The "cup" is #8 in the attached picture.

Pictures worth 1000 words:

Attachments

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence,
The picture on the right is correct. The metal cup fits into the filter and keeps the spring aligned.

Good luck!
Diesel Dennis
Thanks for the reply!

I apologize though, I didn't explain my photos. The first one (1 of 3, titled "photo(2).jpg") is where the metal cup lip is IN the filter. Is that what you mean? I'm just trying to make sure because to me, the picture on the right (2 of 3) is where the lip point out of the oil filter. I do think that way is wrong.

---
offtopic:
I'll say one thing though about the oil change that I certainly did not expect or think of.... how FAST that oil came out. My cheapo drain pain couldn't keep up and nearly overflowed the lip. Luckily, even in that shocked state I was about to think enough to quickly replace the oil pan drain plug until the pan could catch up. Might have been a bit messy, but was better than "all over the floor".

Next time: bucket as a drain pan!

Last edited:

Diesel Dennis

Valence,
Of the 3 pictures you show, I believe the pic in the center is correct. The cup portion should fit into the filter, this keeps the filter centered. Hope that clarifies it.

Diesel Dennis

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence,
Of the 3 pictures you show, I believe the pic in the center is correct. The cup portion should fit into the filter, this keeps the filter centered. Hope that clarifies it.

Diesel Dennis

Into the filter. Got it. Thank you very much good sir! [thumbzup]

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been awhile but I think the pic on left is correct. First pic.

Not the bypass.

Why is the carter pin not in both canisters?

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good theard, I would also add for you to change the gaskets on top of the filters as well.
Gaskets on top of the filters? The manual doesn't show a gasket on top of the filter, unless you mean the one between the center post and filter housing body. I did change that one. It had the look of being reused a few times. The 2 local auto parts stores didn't have a gasket that fit, so I bought a roll of rubberized cork and used a razor blade to cut out 2 gaskets. Worked good!

Floridianson:
I actually assembled it as pictured in the first picture. That image is where the cap fits down into the filter. I agree that there would be little point in assembling it the other way around because then the cap is just sitting on top of the filter and doesn't "hold onto" it at all. Plus, the other way compresses the spring more than I like and makes for harder reassembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks