• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wd light

p3amea6

I was driveing my 1008 down NC 168 at 55mph and my 4WD light came on pulled over ASAP but my lever was still in 2 Hi .So i know it is the switch but how hard is it to check and or replace aua

Barrman

The switch is on top of the tcase above the passenger side of the case. I find it easier to put the lever in 4wd low, put one arm in over the front drive shaft and the other hand coming in from the back to get the plug off. The -20 only list ways of testing the switch if the light isn't coming on. So, with the hubs unlocked and the truck in 2wd. Try twisting the front drive shaft to make sure the switch isn't correctly telling you what is going on.

I would also suggest that you check the white wire for grounding out somewhere if the light stays on when you unplug the wires from the switch.

Thanks thats another issue i have going down the road the light flickers on and off so ill have to take a look into that while im down on the ground drilling out a starter bolt hole whole another fun story I love my MV i love my MV i keep telling myself this lol :smile:

Barrman

I don't know how everybody else's wiring runs for this switch, but mine goes through the floor at the tcase shifter housing. Mine is just sandwiched between the cover and the floor. Real easy to ground out if it ever has been tugged on or moved around.

While we are talking about the switches. Anybody know where to get replacements? Mine is bad in that it never turns on the light. I haven't found a new one searching for civi Blazer parts yet is why I ask.

Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IWhile we are talking about the switches. Anybody know where to get replacements? Mine is bad in that it never turns on the light. I haven't found a new one searching for civi Blazer parts yet is why I ask.

Thanks.

What Tim, you don't read your emails????? :p

Autozone - SW4140 - $27.99 - Looks to be right - old style connector
NAPA - BK 6002938 - $10.29 - old style connector

Here are some pics from the parts truck. I sure am glad the previous owner cut out the transmission hump....LOL

Notice that the wiring is also going under the shifter

The first picture of the new switch is NAPA's and the other three are autozones.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

Your email arrived at 8:59. I posted above at 9:02. Sorry for not reading your email fast enough.

Thanks for the part numbers and the look on the parts truck.

Barrman

I just hung up with my local NAPA. They will have a new switch in the morning. This CUCV thing is weird. I am not used to buying parts meant for my vehicle local at a decent price. UPS is going to get mad at me.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman,

If that's making you feel bad, just tell me what you need, I'll buy it, double the price and ship it out next week.......rofl

Not a problem.......

Barrman

No, don't feel bad at all. You have been in my driveway. UPS and the mail man tear it up so bad I won't miss them a bit. Plus, I still have 7 other mv's that need parts from far away.

I explained to Jennifer why I needed to stop at NAPA Thursday night. I told her so that in case she was ever driving the truck, the warning light would show up if it was still in 4x4. She kind of smiled and said thanks for thinking of me. I can't wait for a cool day or two so I can introduce her to the truck. Maybe even get her to drive it to the SS rally in Bryan.

rjinga

"28. FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE LIGHT TURNS ON (TRANSFER CASE NOT IN FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE)​
Step 1. Turn key to “RUN” position. Disconnect lead from four-wheel drive switch on
transfer case.
If four-wheel​
drive light goes out, replace switch.
If four-wheel drive light stays on, trace circuit. (See wiring diagram F-4 or F-6)."

.​

rjinga

... Autozone - SW4140 - $27.99 - Looks to be right - old style connector
NAPA - BK 6002938 - $10.29 - old style connector
FYI - the switch from Advance Auto Parts will not work; three prong connection (don't ask me how I know). Also, here's what I've learned this week: Just because the part's store computer says it fits doesn't make it so. If possible, take off and take in the old part to compare. If you can't, but someone has been kind enough to post photos here, compare part to photos before crawling under vehicle. aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So did you get the right part? What is the right part number?

rjinga

So did you get the right part? What is the right part number?
I think the Auto Zone and NAPA parts numbers that Warthog posted are correct, but I haven't personally inspected either part. I just had my local NAPA confirm the part number and check his online photos for me. I should have the part Monday afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

Barrman

The NAPA part bolts on but has the plastic tab for the truck side plug in the wrong location. Mine only works if I decide to get dirty and hug the tcase, reach up there and push the plug down real hard. That keeps it going until I hit a real good bump and it works itself up a little. I just haven't bothered to pull it back off and modify it to work right. Or actually, go get the correct part.

I haven't tried the Autozone version.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no 4x4 light

I have checked my transfer case and the 4x4 works fine, however no light when put in 4 wheel drive. So it's probably the swtch and not a short correct?

David

Barrman

Pull the plug, jump the leads and turn the key on. If the light comes on, then your switch is bad.

If it doesn't come on, trace circuit is you best choice. Could be a broken wire, bad plug, bad fuse, bad bulb, broken tab on the instrument cluster plug or just a dirty instrument PC mat.

Getting to the plug is kind of hard for me. I had best results putting the t-case in 4low, one hand in front of the case and the other from the rear meeting at the plug. Same kind of fun getting a wrench on the switch to remove/install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks