• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V / 24V dual voltage alternator on a deuce

Sephirothq

I got a dual voltage alternator. Some of the posts are marked, ac, ign, 14V. I am not sure where the 24 volt output is but it is there somewhere. It has what looks to be a voltage regulator on the alternator itself with two cables going to it. I am looking to install in on my duece and have a few questions. first what wires need to go where? How many amp are the usually? can i use this for an independent 12 volt system? I will have to get pics tomorrow.

jwaller

it could be a 100 or 200 amp on the 24v side, prob 60a on the 12V side.

the 24v output is the large terminal marked AC. ign is just that, it tells it when to start marking power.

tm america

I had one on my deuce.You can use a separate 12 volt system and charge it with the 12 volt pole on the alt. the connection are marked on the alt..One is red the other is yellow.The pulley is different than a 24 volt gen .The hole will need to be drilled larger if you didn't get one with the new alt.Other than that they bolt right in

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know Delco makes them, I just put a dual voltage set up on a Manitwoc crane. They aren't cheap, Me thinks the new one was upwards of $700.

Sephirothq

Got around to looking at the alternator the other day

The 24 volt side goes to a lug near the front of the alternator.
the 14 goes to the one marked 14. I can understand the ign going to a key turned on to make power. but the one marked ac is a small terminal with a smallerish wire running to it. IT can't be a feed wire. it has to be some kind of signal wire.

any ideas?
it is on teh regulator that is mounted to the alternator

by the way it is marked 100 amp.

rlwm211

The M915 has a dual voltage alternator. The amperage ratings favor the 12 volt side if I am not mistaken as the M915 is primarily a 12 volt vehicle. In a deuce the low amperage 24 volt side may not be enough to support the batteries.

If this alternator is from the M915 series, I would not suggest using it unless it is secondary to a regular 24 volt alternator.

Just my two cents

RL

Sephirothq

ok just to close out the topic on this
the alternator wire AC goes to wire 2A in the harness.
this goes to an external voltage regulator for the frequency load dump and the reverse polarity load dump

So without this other box the alternator is useless

So the short of it is

SAVE YOUR MONEY

it won't work.

Kohburn

if the AC wire is an output to a voltage regulator then why is it necessary for the alternator to function?

Kohburn

everyone wants to be a wiseguy.

I don't know about this specific unit - but similar units are internally regulated and the A/C wire is not necessary for it to function - only connecting the + and - leads.

if this is not an internally regulated alternator then the simplest answer to the original posters question would have been THAT.

Kohburn

guess you don't need any help then :p

like I said, don't know that specific alternator, but the AC prong is marked such because it is connected to a phase of the alternator and is not rectified.

It doesn't prevent the alternator from functioning if there are other power outputs.
If the only connections on yours are AC,ign,and 14v and you are sure it is a dual voltage alternator then the AC prong would need a bridge rectifier to get DC current.

have fun with your alternator

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
like I said, don't know that specific alternator, but the AC prong is marked such because it is connected to a phase of the alternator and is not rectified.

It doesn't prevent the alternator from functioning if there are other power outputs.

So you are saying it is possible the AC tap is superfluous?

If that's the case, it doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble to build a test bench to run the alternator and test the output. Even if I got the alternator free I would still like the opportunity to upgrade to dual output.

Even having to add a second voltage rectifier/regulator to make 12v does not seem like too much to do in order to get dual voltage on board.

My .02c

Rick

Darwin T

before you get a combo alt there is a dual (one 24 volt and one 12 volt alt system) it is a direct bolt up for a deuce multi fuel. i installed the single 24 volt on my M35a2 and have plans to put the 2 alt system on my M109a3 the 24 volt to run the truck and the 12 to an nother set of batteries in the box to run an inverter wired into the electrical box to provied power to the plugs inside the box without having to run a genny. here is a pict of the 70 amp 24 volt installed.

Attachments

tm america

i had a dual voltage alt on my truck for years. never ran any kind of extra regulator. i just had the 24 volt and 12 volt hooked up. and nothing going to the ac.It still put out 14volts and 28 volts. There are several different electrical systems they were used with some looked pretty complicated like the ones on the hmmwv abulances.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks