• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glad hand leak....getting worse

When I picked up my deuce last month it had a small leak at the passenger side glad-hand shutoff, nothing big, just enough that it would bleed down over night. Well the other day I was clearing snow off and I nudged the actual glad-hand cover and it started hissing, so I nudge it back, no change. Bled all the air out and removed the cover, cleaned it and stuck it back on. When I started the truck and built pressure I went to the back and there was no change. This leak still isn't horrible, but deffinatly bigger, it now takes about 3 hours to be in air buzzer territory, I think it was about 30psi after sitting 3 hours. So I'm thinking new gaskets? And where might I find these? I need ones for the glad-hand and glad-hand shutoff valve

russ132

I replaced both of my glad hand valves with standard plumbing ball valves. Half inch I think. Easy fix. I don't think that the glad hand cover is actually supposed to hold pressure, just protect the gasket and keep gunk out of the glad hand.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the valve is shut off. Then, go to NAPA and buy some new rubber seals for the gladhand. One of the first things I do when I pick up a new MV is replace all the gladhand seals. The gladhand covers are only there to keep dirt out.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OEM plug valves, glad hand

I know I have posted this before but couldn't find it now......

Most of the times the original plug valves can be restored to like-new condition. The most difficult part is to disassemble them, since there is that small pin securing the handle to the core (plug). Once done, clean/ degrease and use some fine emery cloth put in between and turning back and forth to sand and polish affected surfaces. Clean well and re-assemble with any good synthetic grease.
Works well for me....

G.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Army was smart, and used an off the shelf part that has been used for decades. You can get new gladhands at any truck stop, NAPA, or good autoparts store. Even the plumbing used in conjunction with them is off the shelf stuff you can find at a good hardware store.

As stated the glad hand covers keep dirt out, not pressure in. Close the valve upstream if you want it to hold pressure. If it doesnt, rehab the va;lve, or replace it.

KsM715

One thing about those valves the Gov. used that I dont like, they operate backwards to what most people are used to. When the handle is inline with the pipe its off and when its 90* to the pipe its open. I always have to double check to make sure mine are shut off.

steelandcanvas

One thing about those valves the Gov. used that I dont like, they operate backwards to what most people are used to. When the handle is inline with the pipe its off and when its 90* to the pipe its open. I always have to double check to make sure mine are shut off.
I was just about to post the backwards operation of those valves, you beat me to it. This could be some of the OP's problem. Nice to know mine aren't the only one's like that.

70deuce

To add a little to G's excellent post on dissassembly and cleaning, use valve lapping compound in place of emery cloth. Then do the turning back and forth to sand and polish affected surfaces. May take a little longer to polish the surfaces but man do the core and body match up better. I used this method on a water buffalo's main feed valve which is the same design of these valves just bigger to stop a constant water drip.

Hey now, I enjoy my shift pattern :driver: lol

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my valves are off, I'll check again in a few minutes when I actually hop in for a drive. But if I'm not mistaken, it's also leaking at the fitting just after the shutoff valve on the glad-hand side. I sprayed a little rainx on it while I was searching the leak down in the first place

Thanks for all the advice and input guys. I wasn't sure if that cover was like a fail safe of some sort

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to have a half dozen extra glad hand seals in the glove box as spares. Its not uncommon for them to become distorted and not seal. There are several different designs of them. The kind that I prefer are more rounded and have a thin perforated membrane covering the orphasis to keep out stuff. The metal glade hand cover is often responsible for distorting/destroying the seal. Many commercial vehicles don't use metal covers at all, but rely on some type of upstream valve. Keeping the air system free of leaks is a never ending battle!

Okay, accidentally had it open thinking it was closed, thanks guys, just have to do the shut off valves when it gets warmer, I'm building a list of things to fix, some leaks here and there, I have a small fuel leak, two coolant leaks that are only around on cold starts and go away when warm, and some cold start oil leaks

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've also found that putting a thin film of silicone grease on the seals and the covers makes them much easier to install and remove and eliminates a lot of friction between the bare steel and the seal. I'm not sure if this is recommended, but it works for me.

steelandcanvas

I've also found that putting a thin film of silicone grease on the seals and the covers makes them much easier to install and remove and eliminates a lot of friction between the bare steel and the seal. I'm not sure if this is recommended, but it works for me.
As long as the silicone is nice to the rubber, I don't think that would be a problem. Gary, that idea goes on my "Good Ideas" list. I have fought hard getting those pesky covers on.

russ132

glad hand

A long hauler buddy of mine taught me the trick of spitting on whatever
you are attaching to the glad hand for lubrication. It helps a great deal but
Silicone might be a little more long term.

Clay James

two coolant leaks that are only around on cold starts and go away when warm, and some cold start oil leaks
I have the same problems. The coolant one only happened when I started the truck in 20 degree weather. It was just a few drops that leaked from the hoses that connect to the water manifold. One of my spin on adapters leaks on cold starts during cold weather. These engines don't like the cold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks