• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ellsworth Deuce Recovery

91W350

I got up early Monday morning and set sail for Ellsworth to grab my deuce. I stopped to get a soda and hit the road. I stopped at the Nebraska Border and the South Dakota Border at Yankton. Karl Kostman came down from Fargo North Dakota and met me at Deuceman 51's compound. We drooled there for a while in Scotland, Karl jumped in my M1008 and we set sail, well, as setting sail as it gets for Rapid City.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

91W350

Today we had to wait a few hours, that is okay as it was about 12 below last night. The M1008 started this morning with no heat... A Colorado bunch had 11 M35A3s to load up at a different location, so Ray was bust this morning.

We managed to get our security pass and screening through and made it to the GL lot about noon. The batteries were flat cooked on the deuce, nothing. I had brought a new pair, it was leaking antifreeze around a radiator hose clamp, Karl fixed that while I swapped batteries. After installing the new batteries, we gave her a good spin with no fuel and the starter sounded great.

The fuel tank was empty and some low life had stolen my five gallon can and the diesel, so we seized the opportunity to get warmed up and made a fuel run. Upon our return we poured in the fuel and checked the filters for water or trash, they looked great.

I like the various art that shows up ion these and mine has a coyote on the driver's door.

Attachments

91W350

I checked the transmission level and it was right on the money. Karl hopped in and gave her a cranking over. The old girl was rolling white smoke and trying, but just did not take off. She had been there since October of 2009. We gave the starter a break and hit at again with the flame heater assisting. It tried to catch a couple of times and just did not take off.

We pulled the air cleaner, Karl gave it a spin while I gave it a shot of either, not enough to make a wet spot on my hand and she was blowing smoke. I was surprised at how fast it smoothed out and we had oil pressure within a few seconds.

Run the throttle up to 1000 and let her warm for a while. While the engine was warming, we checked for leaks. I slid under and checked the diffs and the transmission. Everything looked like it had just been serviced. The master cylinder was full and clean, it looks new too. The pedal stopped about 2" from the top.

There were no leaks that we could spot. I slid under and checked the bolts in the shaft joints. I tried to dodge the crap blowing out of the stack. It looks like we have a new flex line and J pipe as well.

I took a photo of the black smoke rolling after initial fire up, but it is hard to see.

Attachments

91W350

I made a few laps around the GL lot in 1st and 2nd gear, the brakes were good enough to lock up the tires and pull down the engine in 1st gear. It appears to have a brand new spare "Titan" with nine like new Titans on the ground. It has one off brand tire that appears close to new as well on the right front of the right rear tandem set.

We decided to go get fuel and a motel. The first 110 dollar fuel purchase of many I am sure, occurred at the Flying J in Rapid City.

From there, we went back to the motel. We plan to head back to Scotland in the morning.... M1008 in tow. I understand we have about 12 inches of snow at home now. I am not sure where I will have to stop tomorrow, pulling a pickup with a deuce on NDTs in deep snow just is not for me. I may have a three day trip home in store.

Ray at GL was great, he is a great guy. I got to meet some area green addicts, so far, everybody has been just super. I hope the trip home goes as well.

The tool box and glove box were both loaded with goodies and we have a nice looking cargo cover on the floor in the bed.... Glen

Attachments

wsucougarx

Great looking truck. I'm glad everything is going well thus far. I pray you make it home safely and Mr Murphy is hibernating in the hills somewhere.

reb87

Im north of the interstate 80 and York location in Nebraska, around stromsburg (hiway 81) if you need anything on the way home....
402-366-4998

91W350

We spent the night in Mitchel SD. It got dark on us and down to 10 degrees, we decided to call it a day. No leaks, the old girl pulled out of the Missouri River valley without losing a gear, it was close though. We were gaining fast on the two trucks that passed us in the bottom. They blew us away once they crested that hill though. We head south from here. Glen

Attachments

camp9

We use to sell out calves every year in Mitchel, always enjoyed the drive out there. I seen on the news that they called out the national guard down close to your home because of the snow.

Killer_Junior

Glad to hear it went well... Ray at Ellsworth DRMO has always been a helpful guy. I just wish they got more stuff turned in there!

FYI, the coyote on the door is the symbol of the SD National Guard- their shoulder patches have it too. Nice to get a truck with art!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks