• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Friend's truck: conversion from turbo 400/NP208 too a 700r4/NP205

Iceman3005

This is my friends 86 cucv that I'm converting too an overdrive transmission and the stronger NP205 transfer case.

Mods: 4 inch ORD lift kit, rear hitch, steering box frame support from ORD, 35 inch goodyear mud tires, Air Conditioning!

truck only has 15,000 miles on it, was painted white by the coast guard operation's base personal. My friend bought it with only 9000 miles on it. Has a new lift pump, injection pump, glow plugs, injectors, and a fresh rebuild on transmission. Had too replace all those things because it sat for a long time with no use.

Attachments

Iceman3005

Here are the pics of 700r4 and NP205 along with the spacer that is necessary for the transfer case to be installed on a 700r4. 4 reason's for using spacer instead of advance adapters new output shaft: first this is a lot cheaper, 2nd I don't have too tear the trans completely down to install said shaft, 3rd this spacer moves the transfer case back so drive shaft won't hit transmission pan, 4th if I didn't use spacer I would have too notch the transmission pan so drive shaft won't hit pan.

Attachments

Iceman3005

Transmission is upside down so I could remove pan and install new torque converter solenoid and wiring to make the torque converter lock up work with out all the vacuum systems and electronics, also needed too install new filter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this adapter uses the coupling sleeve like the 465/205 combo only 27 spline? Do the make a sleeve with 27 and 10 spline?

Iceman3005

Advance Adapter makes a couple of different sleeves, not sure if they make a 27 too 10 though, I have seen a 32 too 10.

I thought about putting twin sticks on the T-case but spending that much money only to have too cut them so they will go up through the floor due too the spacer, I don't think I could do that.

robert c neth

Banned
i know the cast iron case is stronger ,but what does it take to break a 208.? we run a 700r4 with a 208 on our mud truck with deuce axles and 54" tractor tires,we broke the truck in half but the t case never failed.what year 700r4 did you use the early ones were not that strong .good luck on the conversion.

Iceman3005

NP205 has a port for adding a PTO, he wants too install his pto winch, can't do that with the NP208, plus it is a lot stronger than the NP208, I can't count how many times I have stretched or broke a chain on an NP208. I have never broken an NP205, I have however seen others brake an NP205 but I never have.

SGT LongT

Twin sticking is new to me as I'm just getting into 4x4 mods, but I've driven plenty of 4x4 or 4x6 military vehicles. Basically it allows you control the front and rear axles separately and to disengage front or rear making the vehicle 2 wheel drive. If that is wrong please let me know. Is this mainly for the rock crawling guys or is this applicable for weekend off roading too?

Iceman3005

Twin sticking a NP205 just allows you too be able to put it in high or low range in two or four wheel drive, just more control over high/low range.

Cucvnut

Twin sticking is new to me as I'm just getting into 4x4 mods, but I've driven plenty of 4x4 or 4x6 military vehicles. Basically it allows you control the front and rear axles separately and to disengage front or rear making the vehicle 2 wheel drive. If that is wrong please let me know. Is this mainly for the rock crawling guys or is this applicable for weekend off roading too?

Twin sticking a NP205 just allows you too be able to put it in high or low range in two or four wheel drive, just more control over high/low range.
same thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks