• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Friend's truck: conversion from turbo 400/NP208 too a 700r4/NP205

Iceman3005

Yup 700r4's can be built to handle up too 1200 HP, the company I buy all my 700r4 parts from has a 1200 HP 1/2 ton pickup running low 10's for the last year and they haven't broke a single part.

The 700r4 low first gear more than makes up for the NP205's lack of a low range gear like the NP208, so it will be comparable to the turbo 400 and NP208 in low range.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The misconception on 700R4s keep them affordable. The rodders are also part of the wiser, they are snapping them up too!

idM1028

Ditto on previous posts. The 700R4's can withstand quite a bit, the key to making them last behind a lot of horsepower,torque, and abuse is having a good company or shop build the transmission right. I mean, just look at this: Ray Litz
Granted, that guy's running a 4L60E, but really the only difference between that and a 700R4 is some electronic stuff and the name. I'm sure you could find countless other guys like this running a 700R4 or something similar (4L60, 4L60E)

Cucvnut

1028 is right. you can get them. but with a klune it really does not matter if you run a stock 205 or not.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Got the transmission and transfer case installed, just waiting for the shifter to be modified and the front drive shaft too be shortened and the rear too be made longer and make the rear into a shaft slip instead of a transfer case slip.

Attachments

bshupe

I see that this is quite an old thread, did you complete this project? If so, how did it go and/or turn out? I am very interested in doing this same type of conversion. One thing.... can any 205 be converted to a PTO or are there only certain ones that were made that way originally.

Also, I think I have seen this truck around for sale. Is that the case?

Thanks!

700R4s can be built to be as strong as a Turbo 400 and stronger.
Why does the 4L60 and 3L60 (TH350) have the same center support design and low/reverse piston, but the 3L80 (TH400) has the same center support design as a 4L80E? I've built some very badass 700s in my time, some of which regularly see 800HP shooting through them, but I won't guarantee any of them to handle more than 450 HP. All they are is a TH350 with an overdirve unit. However, the TH400 is easily built to withstand 2000 HP on a regular basis. Yeah, I'd have to disagree with the above claim. The class-designation tells all. Would you think a 4L60E is in the same duty class as a 4L80E? That statement is the same as saying a TH350, AKA 3L60, can be built to take as much stress as a 3L80, AKA TH400. I'd stay away from a builder who tells you a 700R4 can handle 1200 HP. Maybe for a little while, but when those things let loose, they can also send shrapnel everywhere. I used to know one of the guys who was on the team who designed the TH350 before he died of cancer. He once told me how during the testing phase, they lost 3 guys when one of those units exploded before they beefed up the floorpan in the test vehicle. Fortunately, I don't think a 6.2 diesel has any chance of breaking a decently built 700, especially if it has the later design of the input shaft (they kept cracking the 27-spline ones when they introduced the 6.2).