• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sunday winching gone wrong...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait til you see the broken driveshaft pics.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh. Why was the winch even needed?

The excavator was a rental and it had very very little hydraulic power. It could not lift the machine. It also had one side that would barely drive.

The hoe sat overnight there , and the rear counterweight was totally submerged this AM. I am surprised it started. They could not rotate it either, until I dug around it with my backhoe.

After my driveshaft broke, I called in a friend with an old Holmes 550(I think).

MY winch cable was brand new. It looks like the tensioner did not travel across the arch, and that allowed the cable to bind on itself, causing it to snap. (that's my best guess).

All this damage with a true military issued shear pin installed.

abh3

Things I've learned over the years: 1) Don't go in the s**t on an excavator w/ weak hydraulics! 2) Be really careful dragging yourself out with that long-stick machine if the hydraulics are strong!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way that was going to work but I would have tried anyway.:grd:

The tracks were parallel to the shoreline. One was under the mud/water by about 2'. The other was above the water and sort of on hard ground.

The idea was to have the boom up and use the winch to tilt the machine(sucking it out of the mud slowly) up onto the high side track, then let him drive sideways to the cable pull, onto hard ground.

That was working until the cable snapped(I suspect from the tensioner not working correctly) I have completely cleaned and lube it too.

When the cable broke, I had the low side track lifted up about a foot.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tracks were parallel to the shoreline. One was under the mud/water by about 2'. The other was above the water and sort of on hard ground.

The idea was to have the boom up and use the winch to tilt the machine(sucking it out of the mud slowly) up onto the high side track, then let him drive sideways to the cable pull, onto hard ground.

That was working until the cable snapped(I suspect from the tensioner not working correctly) I have completely cleaned and lube it too.

When the cable broke, I had the low side track lifted up about a foot.
Did you have wood mats under the excavator?

RealCavDog

Makes a few of the debacles I have been in, VERY recently, look pretty tame and manageable ! I am just so glad nobody was hurt, and that there was not any more damage done !

:beer: For an excellent effort ! :beer: AND for the great pictures of the adventure !

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have wood mats under the excavator?

No, but we put several trees under the track, with my backhoe.

This mud was black sand and about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

I was not the guy that got the excavator stuck. I was the guy they called to get it out.

After about 8.5 hours, we did get it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks