• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heater Fire

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went out this morning to fire up one of the Deuces to pick up another three 6.2 engines at WPAFB for Camp9 and noticed something on the oil pan.

As I was opening up the front doors to the barn I could see what looked like glare or a white spot on the driver's side front of the pan. Since I'm 40 feet away I didn't think anything of it. I opened the doors and walked over to the truck to pull the mag heater off the pan and noticed it was in pieces. The plastic was off the metal base and it looked like it had been on fire or the plastic smoked like crazy. I pulled the heater off using the handle and the magnets fell out and the thing was still hot.

The engine was nice and warm. No damage so I made the recovery and just got back. Took pictures and called the manufacturer to see what the heck caused it. Their tech support says only two things can cause that problem (which tells me this isn't the first time). The heater did NOT have enough surface area to act as a heat sink OR the thermostat failed.

It is a Kats 300 watt magnetic mount and they are going to send me another one. I'm shipping the old back to them in a "If it fits it ships box".

Has this put me off? No. He said their most popular is the glue on silicone version but with a Deuce I want to be able to remove it.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a fair number of fires started by bad thermostats and "high" limit switches. Lucky it didn't send the barn to the ground!

steelandcanvas

I would think it was a t-stat failure. Maybe they should put a hi-limit switch into their design, as a backup safety device for a runaway t-stat. Let us know how they treat you on the replacement.

6x6junkie

I know the prob it was made in china assembled in korea and had a us sticker put on it sweet that they are sending you another

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinda makes you want to get a block heater off 3DAngus and plug it in a half hour before you want to drive.2cents

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually they are made in Springfield, Tennessee and after telling it to Gimpy on the phone I'm pretty sure it was my fault. The surface area on the front part of the Deuce oil pan is not a large enough area to act as a heat sink. It has to be clean and flat and large enough so that the entire unit fits.

I'll bet the thermostat is still good.

Don, I want to walk up to the truck, pull the heater off and go. So it is left on a thermostatic outlet that only comes on below 40deg F and keeps my truck and backhoe warm.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read the instructions, before your installed and operated it? Seriously

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read the instructions, before your installed and operated it? Seriously
Yes, the area is clean (all Haspin mud gone) and I thought it was big enough. If I want to use the front sump area of the oil pan I suspect I should have purchased the 200 watt version.........

Now I have to get back to unfurling this big white sheet in my living room. Get it. unfurling.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlUnS0uk8Q&feature=related[/media]

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. You (DH) started this.
2. Holly yells in while I am listening to song and says "Hey, that's my favorite song!". So thanks for that.
3. I want you to tell me all you know about skiing.

Fashion a box large enough to enclose two, or more, 150 watt flood light bulbs. Switches for each bulb make it "adjustable" for the temp each day. Also no melt down/fire hazard.
Mount so as to have the bulbs shine on the engine from about 1/2 an inch away.
This could be attached with magnets to the bottom of the oil pan?
Unless I am mistaken the pan is large enough to allow 5 or 6 bulbs.
Also eliminates the minimum contact" issue too.
No fire hazard.

I tend to be a do-it yourself type.

e

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have bad knees, I can't ski.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinda makes you want to get a block heater off 3DAngus and plug it in a half hour before you want to drive.2cents
I use the 300w kats , they work good to warm fuel tanks also. But for I perfer the heat element that replaces a freeze plug over the external splice in type . The external give you alot more places to develop a leak .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks