• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15.5's wow what a difference W/10" rim build

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sermis said:
Idea on front rims. With the larger tires there might be some turning issues to the right. I was thinking about using a riveted rim and reversing the dish on the rim. This will create more backspacing than original. Then cut the inside of the rim and add 3” to the inside instead of the out side to take up some of the back spacing gained by reversing the dish. This would make a 10” rim. I think it still would gain some backspacing to help clear the drag link. Any idea if this would push the outside of the tires outside of the fenders. I don’t have any riveted rims to measure so I don’t know how much more backspacing this would create.
This is how it would come out: Just by flipping the dish on a std. 7.5" wheel, backspace would be reduced from 10.5 to 5.25 inches. After widening the rim to 10" you'll end up with 8 5/8" backspace. That means little if any interference tire to drag link when turning right and the rubber sticking out the fender about two inches which isn't to bad! :wink:

Gerhard

Attachments

devilman96

Sermis... Nice fab work!!! I love to see someone take on a job that others keep "talking" about doing! I dont know how those will do on road but you have a soild method for getting a fairly straight home made rim keeping the center in palce and only adding to the outside of the wheel!!! Good thinking!!!

As for balancing... Dont bother balancing with weights... They dont work that well for on/off road applicatoins anyways, just pour a half pound of dyna beads into each tire when you have them all mounted!

Barrman

Steve, I have a bubble balancer you can use and a bubble balancer top you can have. Just remind me before I head your way again.

rdixiemiller

If you can find riveted wheels to cut in half, they are easier to get the centers out of then the fully welded ones. I would use welded wheels for the ones you were leaving the centers in.

sermis

I wish I would have had 6 rivited wheels. All I had was welded rims so I had to cut them. I was thinking about using the rivited on the front and reversing the dish to help clearance issues with the steering.

TedG

HI,

Unimog 406's have 11.00x20 rims that fit those G20 tires nicely :D There are two versions of mog rims: disc brake and drum brake, the difference is the offset but both can be used on tubeless radials. The hole pattern looks identical to the duece. If the hole pattern works, then mog rims can be purchased by several suppliers in the US. I tried to attached a picture of the disc brake rims (different tire) for lug pattern but no luck. Will email to whom is interested.

SS Newbie

sermis

Here is the passenger side of the truck with the 15.5’s. There is about 2 5/8” clearance between the tire and the exhaust pipe. I don’t think there will be a problem unless you really stuff the tire. There is still a little over 1" between the pipe and the fender so the pipe could be pulled up some more to allow more clearance if needed. I am guessing if the pipe was lifted some more it would give it at least 2” more room.

Attachments

sermis

What is the distance between the tire and pipe and the pipe and fender? Your truck looks like there is a lot more room than mine. When I put the muffler on I might have let my pipe drop a little.

mangus580

sermis, it looks like you have a lot of room to move the pipe up tight to the fender. When I swapped J pipes onto mine from the parts donor, I can see the pipe sits about 1.5" higher on mine. I think it has to do with the rotation of the flex pipe on the turbo, setting the position of the actual J-pipe

rdixiemiller

Recovry4x4 said:
Robert, any idea on a place to get riveted wheels?
Some yahoo in Fla. has them. I think a Ga. Redneck near Helen has some too!

How much are tubes and flaps for the 15.5 tires? Anyone have a source for 14.50R20's? they should be the same height as 1100's and run on a 10" rim.

sermis

I talked to my tire guy and he said 10.00 20 radial tubes would work just fine. He charged me $18.00 each. We will see. I have the front 2 mounted using the 10.00 20 tubes. I found used flaps from 16.00 20's for $20.00 each. The guy that has the flaps also has tires. 395's new for $200, used from $75-$100. Also has 16.00's and other sizes.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pictures and drawings are amazing. It's all coming down to time and material, as far as people saying they want to do something, and actually doing it or not. I need some money so i can do these things:
1. buy that bobbed deuce and a towbar to drag it home (or, just drive it if i am that cwazy)
2. buy 12 wheels and have them made into 10" rims to fit these or similar tires for my existing deuce
3. buy the tires and accessories

Now, if all of y'all will help out, and pitch in to send me about $5000, I can get right on this. and get 'er done. Don't worry about what it will cost to get the tires mounted, I'll get my brother to do that.
:p