• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15.5's wow what a difference W/10" rim build

rizzo

only a couple inches i think. i didn't even look at the truck much, it was dark when we started. I will get pics later during the day.

rdixiemiller

I want to do much the same with 14.50R20's. They are roughly the same height as my 1100R20's I am running now. Nice job on the wheels! I am a bit luckier, I have access to a lathe big enough to do the job, and a balancing machine.

rizzo

sermis said:
I think if I had a Lathe and rivited rims the balance issue would not have been so bad.
I have riveted rims with the center flipped. I did not feel anything out of wack when I was driving it.

sermis

Rizzo, did you balance your rims?
Do you drive it at road speed?

I moved the Overson lockout hub to the front tandem axel tonight. Will see how it works there.
Will have the wheels and front tires balanced tomorrow and see how it works.
I started building one of the riveted rims. Cut the center and added 3” to it. I just used one of the back pieces from one of the rims I had cut the outside from. Need to cut out the rivets, flip the dish, and weld it up.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sermis said:
I think my balance issue came from torch cutting the outer center and not having a good clean cut.
Sure it came only from the wheels?
Don't be surprised about how much out of balance our drums are!
After building and (statically) balancing my 11" wheels I also checked each hub&drum as an assembly. Some drums took more than the worst of my tires! But I need to say that those European Contis come out almost perfect. Average radial and lateral run-out was less than 2mm and some didn't even need any weight at all! :D

sermis

Rizzo, do you have a way to press the tires on the rim and then install the lock ring or just beat the ring on. I tried one and it was a real pain, pinched the tube.

rizzo

I used smaller tubes and a specal device that involves a huge threaded rod to pinch the tires while installing the lock ring.

houdel

Rizzo - I'm not sure I read this thread correctly. Did you say you are running 15.5/80 R20 tires on stock 7" wide M35 rims? Or are you using M135 rims to move the tire sidewall out to give more clearance for the drag link? Did you have a b**ch of a time getting those 15.5/80 R20 tires on a 7" wide rim?

sermis

I got one on a stock rim. It was a B**CH and pinched the tube. On the 10" rims they went right on with no problems. I have not turned real hard to the right yet but so far no problems. I have not hit the drag link.

houdel

If I'm reading correctly, it sounds like Rizzo flipped the wheels on the front, i.e. dish out instead of the stock dish in, presumably to gain more clearance for the drag link.

sermis

The last rim I am building is a riveted with the dish flipped. I cut the center and added the 3" to the back side of the rim insted of the outside of the rim like the others. PIC is posted above. It should move the inside of the tire out approx 2" to help on clerance when turning. If I can find another rivited rim or get one from Barrman I will build the last one.

sermis

Update on the Overson lockout on the front tandem axel.
I moved the lockout hub from the rear axel to the front axel. With the lockout hub on the rear axel there was spin and tire hop with acceleration from the front tires. Even when acceleration was not aggressive there was spin and hop. With the lockout on the front axel there is still wheel spin when you accelerate hard but not near as much as the front axel spun. There does not seam to be as much tire hop that I had either. If there is some mud or wet pavement it is going to spin unless you really take it easy. I think steering was easier with it on the rear than the front but turning with the large tires and single is still easier that with the duels. I never drove the truck with duels and the lockout hub.

mucekok

you can order 20x10 double beadlock wheels from usa6x6. i run them on one of my dueces and my suburban along with 395/85r20's with no tubes or balance issues. see mine at mucekokoffroad.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks